Equilibrium

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

osimsDDS

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What is the equilibrium constant affected by???
isnt it just temperature???

concentration of reactants, pressure, and temp just change the rate but ONLY temp changes the equilibrium constant right? thanks

Members don't see this ad.

So it sounds easy the way you put it but sometimes it is disguised well in a problem and when you are going through tons of problems you can easily just pick something that makes sense and forget one of those rules.

I STRONGLY SUGGEST YOU SEE DESTROYER problems 77, 88, 46 and 74 Their may have been others on this concept but dont remember for sure. This is the exact type of point destroyer tries to catch you on every here and there and drills these key points in.
Let me know what you think when you see em

Just went over DESTROYER gchem problem 88 and it says:

A catalyst will change?
a) the reaction mechanism
b) the energy of activation
c) the specific rate constant
d)two of these
e) all of these

I thought nothing but TEMPERATURE changes the rate constant...how does a catalyst change the rate constant...i see how it could change the reaction mechanism and the energy of activation but rate constant...only temp

What do you guys think?? thanks

Members don't see this ad :)

A catalyst will change?
d)two of these
e) all of these

I thought nothing but TEMPERATURE changes the rate constant[Equilibrium constant! Rate constant has a different story] ...how does a catalyst change the rate constant...i see how it could change the reaction mechanism and the energy of activation but rate constant...only temp

Catalysts do INCREASE the rate constant of both forward and reverse reactions. However, they don't have an effect on the equilibrium constant. I hope you get the point.

well, check this out:

A catalyst will change?
d)two of these
e) all of these
in choice c, specific rate constant is only changed by the [reactant], (concentration of reactant)
rate=K[A] + just be careful of this.

I thought nothing but TEMPERATURE changes the rate constant...how does a catalyst change the rate constant...i see how it could change the reaction mechanism and the energy of activation but rate constant...only temp