Equillibrium constant for a reaction

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Awuah29

Christian predent
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Which of the following will produce a change in the value of the equiliberium constant of a reaction?

a) increase the concentration of a reactant
b) decrease the concentration of the product
c) addition of a suitable catalyst
d) increase the temperature of the reaction
e) all of the above

:idea:

Members don't see this ad.

I believe it equilibrium constant is temperature dependent. a catalyst merely increases the rate of reaction, but does not affect the constant, neither does the concentrations

answer is D.

each reaction has a certain equilibrium constant at a constant temperature. when the temperature of the reaction changes, the equilibrium constant will change accordingly. Increase in temperature will give a higher equilibrium constant.

Members don't see this ad :)
answer is D.

Increase in temperature will give a higher equilibrium constant.

Be careful, it depends if the reaction is endogonic or exogonic. An increase in temperature can shift the eq. right or left. Endo=shift right and exo=shift left. Someone please correct me if I am wrong.

Be careful, it depends if the reaction is endogonic or exogonic. An increase in temperature can shift the eq. right or left. Endo=shift right and exo=shift left. Someone please correct me if I am wrong.

You are correct!!

a "shift" has NOTHING to do with the equilibrium constant, Keq.

A shift has to do with re-establishing equilibrium conditions (i.e. le chatelier's principle)

As someone mentioned before, the only way to change the Keq IS to change the temperature at which the reaction is taking place.

jB!:)