Equine Externship Recommendations

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Reaction score
If this has already been asked, please direct me to the post!

I am a Midwestern CVM 2nd year and I'm starting to pull info together/applying for externships during my clinical rotations. Does anyone have any equine externship recommendations that they absolutely loved? And when did you start contacting/applying for it? I'm looking for a lot of hands-on experience, good mentors, and its a bonus if they have an internship programs for graduates. My ultimate goal is to become a board certified equine surgeon! TIA!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello, I got a few things.
1. Look at AAEP (join it if you're not already part of it, $20 for students). They have a job's page (which you should be able to access without a membership) and you can see internships and externships. Here's the link: American Association of Equine Practitioners (AAEP), AAEP Career Center|Find Your Career Here . Most places that have internships require some sort of externship anyway (COVID is clearly going to alter this requirement). AAEP also has a student's page on facebook where you can ask this question and get 50+ answers from other students and vets that have gone to various clinics across the country and some international places too. Depending on what the heck is going on with COVID, they have a convention in Dec/Nov. They have an avenues night where they get a bunch of equine hospitals together and students can ask about externships and internships. I like to think of it as speed dating with equine hospitals.

2. When to start applying? Depends. If its a more competitive place, I would apply sooner rather than later. You can always reach out and ask about their internship/externship. They will tell you when you should apply and what all they need from you as far as applications and letters. I had classmates doing externships during their 2nd and 3rd year during breaks. With COVID, I have no idea how this will alter internships/externships. Also look at the internship deadlines to apply. You want to extern at these places before their deadlines. They usually have a fall deadline so you would extern the spring/summer right before NAVLE and before applying for their internship. This year is weird thanks to COVID. Some places that are still looking for externs for the summer but some places wouldn't even let me have a day working interview for an internship so it's very hit or miss depending on where you are and where the hospital is. Summed up- I don't have a great answer for you as far as when to start. Reach out and ask about internships and how to go about it. Everyone knows that there is a pandemic but they also know that hiring people based off a phone call and references is hard for everyone (<- my life right now, yes I accepted an internship at a place I've never been to..).

3. Best places? This is going to vary from person to person and when you go. I went to some places and I hated it. I went, did nothing and felt almost non-existent. My classmates went 6 months later and they loved it and had lots of hands on. Another question you should ask yourself is where do you want to end up. The northeast has a bunch of clinics. FL, TX and CA also have a lot. If you have a certain place in mind where you want to spend a year, look into those places. As far as advancing into surgery, get either a hospital only or rotating internship. I'm currently going to do an ambulatory internship because I have no desire to work in a hospital.

Sorry if it seems jumbled. There are some people on this site who will tell you they wouldn't think of hiring you if you asked about externing during this time and they're some places currently looking for students and posted on facebook today so it's just very hit or miss. I think if you go about it in the way of "I'm interested in externing at your hospital because I'm interested in the internship but I understand if you don't want me to visit due to covid..", they might be able to give you more information about their current situation (ie, hospital an hour from NYC is probably a no, hospital in the middle of nowhere might be a yes). Hope this helps.

• Love
Reactions: 1 user
I was originally going to spend 4 weeks at Littletom Equine Medical Center in Littleton, CO from mid-April to mid-May this year. Unfortunately, they cancelled all externships until May 30, so I did not get to actually go. However, they were very easy to schedule with and were willing to take on a "medium level" horse person. They've offered to reschedule and allow me to apply to their post grad internship. I really am sad I dont get to go!

Members don't see this ad :)
There will be a lot of equine externships that are more shadowing - and that's ok, because a lot of externships should be a combination of case exposure for you, and kind of an "audition" - how do they treat their interns, what is the clinic like, etc. Many of the more competitive externships will fill up over a year in advance. The "best" time to extern at your top choice clinics are in late summer/early fall, when most places are busy, and when internship applications are on the horizon. If you are able to travel/extern during your1st/2nd year summers, I highly recommend it, since most equine hospitals require an externship in order to be considered as an intern. More hospital exposure = more options. Feel free to PM me for specific hospital recommendations.

Thank y'all so much for the advice and input! I will definitely check out the AAEP page, I totally didn't know that resource existed so it is very much appreciated. I will also absolutely check out the clinic in Littleton, they seem like they are really invested in students from your experience! Thank y'all again!

Reactions: 1 user