Equine people ... to ride or not to ride ... that is the question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

meadow36

UF CVM 2013
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone here keeping their horse while in vet school? Anyone selling their horse?

I have owned/shown/trained/ridden horses my whole life, but gave it up the last year and a half to take a full schedule of courses along with my full time job. I know vet school won't allow for a lot more time, but even getting a couple of trail rides in a week would be excellent for my sanity. I miss it so much that my stomach hurts. I am seriously considering purchasing a nice trail / pleasure mount while in school.

I am going to an in-state school, and it's not the purchase price that is the problem. I have calculated that board/shoes/vet/dental/and the occasional trailer ride will cost me about $5000/year in the area I am going to be in.

Obviously, I am torn about spending the money on it. I don't want to lease a horse or just randomly trail ride, b/c part of the thrill for me is bringing along and training my own horse. This might be a topic that only other horse people can understand, but I would like to hear thoughts anyway. Am I crazy to keep up with my passion / addiction while in school? I have tried taking up the gym, running, gardening, cooking and drinking :laugh: but nothing seems to replace the comfort I feel when I'm riding and working with my own horse.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm taking 2 of mine down with me to vet school. Although it is an added expense a nice ride can be a great mental break from demands of school and probably will keep me far more forcused in the long run,

I have a couple friends that have horses and LOVE it! They don't mind the added expense, but at times it can be a little torturous (what if the horse decides to go lame or severly colic, that can add HUGE bills to the stress of vet school).

I would love to have a horse while in vet school, but i can honestly not afford it. Look into finding a barn around the school you are attending and see if they have any horses you could 'help' with. This way they get your experience for free and you get to ride for free, it may be hard to find, but there are some people out there looking for exercise riders.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you can afford it, go for it!! This year I've been riding more than I have since I started school and I'm SO much happier for it. Definitely go for it.

I wish I could bring my boy to school with me! But an entire ocean is pretty far..I know he'll be in good hands...but I know as soon as I get to Scotland...I need to find a barn to keep my sanity. If you have the option of having your own...I would say totally go for it!!!!:)

I've owned and kept my horse with me through high school and undergrad, and I'm not the type of person to sell my animals... they are my family. But I'm moving halfway across the country, so it's a big change. I found a home for him for a little while, and once I get out there I'm going to see how much time I have, how much money I have, and look at some places to keep him. Hopefully I will be bringing him out with me as soon as possible, but if I can't make it work I know he has a good home for a few years.

I would not buy a horse now if I didn't have one though. I think a MUCH better option would be to lease a horse while you're in school. All the fun without all the stress!

I am with you on the stress relief thing. I am NOT a morning person, but my favorite time of the day is pulling up to the barn every morning to feed and hearing that whinny. There's nothing as relaxing(mentally of course!) as riding, or even just plain grooming or getting some horsey kisses. :) It's such a great way to get away from everything when you need to and recharge your batteries. I would definitely find a way to spend time with horses while you're in school, I just wouldn't suggest buying one right now.

I was honestly planning on buying myself a horse had I gotten into my in-state school...but since I didn't, I guess I'll have to hold off for another 4 years. Penn is so expensive, plus the added commute from being in a major city...just not feasible. I haven't owned my own horse since high school--I went away to a non-riding boarding school, so we donated him my sophomore year of high school. I ended up leasing horses during the summers between school, and I honestly got a lot out of it--you can make a lot of progress just in a summer. There are so many people right now that I are trying to get rid of or reduce their horse expenses, so I bet you could find a good deal--maybe the owner would still cover vet expenses or something for you?

I do miss it, but I also really love showing and I know that won't be feasible. I just don't know that I'd get a lot out of taking lessons 1x a week--at least not enough to justify the commute/expense.

Maybe make a chart of the expenses/benefits...and then decide...and if your internal "being" is bummed about your choice, you know you've made the wrong one ;)

You should at least put out feelers in the area for people with an extra horse looking for a trail riding buddy--maybe even another vet student!

I'm taking my two horses with me...not really sure what else I'd be able to do with them. Sure, there are stresses, but I don't even know what it would be like to not have my THBs with me (I have owned my older horse for 13 years). That said, if I didn't have horses when going into vet school, I probably wouldn't buy one now. I'm sure there are so many opportunities to ride (when you have time). I know what you mean about bringing along a young horse (one of mine is a OTTB that I got as a project horse), but I've been to many barns where people are overmounted and would love someone to ride their horse a few times per week. I know that I would love it if a fellow vet student wanted to half lease one of my horses so that he could be in regular work (ie, maybe we both only have time to ride 2 times per week). Maybe see what it's like for the first semester or year and go from there. Good luck!

I have also been considering buying a horse so that I could ride during vet school. Having lessons once or twice a week cannot be compared to the feeling of teaching or learning from your own horse and is the best stress relief ever!!! I say if you have the money, go for it. I will be applying to UF this year so maybe next year, we can board our horses together (I am thinking positive here :D ).

My horse is going with me. I had decided that no matter where I ended up my horse was coming along too. So, while I would have loved to apply to RVC and live in London again I knew that bringing a horse with me to England might make things a teency bit hard.

Fortunately for me, I got into and will be going to my IS school and the cost of living (for people and horses) is pretty low. In undergrad I didn't have my horses with me (my baby was only 3 months old when I left and her mom developed a really bad case of stringhalt). Needless to say I was 100 times happier my junior year when I started taking a lesson once a week. I know what you mean though, it was definitely not the same as riding my own horse, but it did help keep me sane.

Like others have suggested, you might first look into leasing or finding someone who needs help with their horse. Helping improve someone else's horse can be pretty satisfying too. Other things to consider are whether you plan on staying in the area over the summer and breaks or if you would like to have the freedom to go home or get a job/internship somewhere else without having to tote your horse along.

I have taken a hiatus from horses due to finances/school/work over the last few years... but I have been feeling like something is missing from my life for a long time now. I'm almost scared to even think about it because I know that all it takes is a little trail ride or a few minutes with a friend's horse for all the horse-craziness to consume me in full-force again ! :p

I know I, personally, cannot afford to own a horse while in vet school. However, riding and spending time with horses and especially developing a bond with one horse gives me a special kind of stress relief that nothing else can...I think that this and +++exercise is going to be essential for maintaining balance (and my sanity) in vet school. Soooo, I made a little pact with myself: if I got into my in-state school, after feeling it out during first quarter, I'd sign up for maybe 1 group lesson per week just to get my fix (UC Davis has a stables literally a couple hundred feet from the vet school and gives lessons at discounted rates to students) and maybe after first year, I'll re-evaluate my finances/time and consider a half lease or something at a nearby stables.

Meadow, by your calculation, owning a horse in vet school would cost you $20,000 (assuming no major medical expenses etc :xf:). And if you're planning to pay for it with loans, that 20k will turn into a lot more with interest. I think, personally, that if you could see yourself being happy leasing, you should consider it... or at least feel it out during the first semester or so before you buy to see if you can afford the time and money. It would be a shame to buy a horse and not be able to devote the kind of time you want to training, riding etc.
I hope it works out for you! :D

Soooo, I made a little pact with myself: if I got into my in-state school, after feeling it out during first quarter, I'd sign up for maybe 1 group lesson per week just to get my fix (UC Davis has a stables literally a couple hundred feet from the vet school and gives lessons at discounted rates to students) and maybe after first year, I'll re-evaluate my finances/time and consider a half lease or something at a nearby stables.

Well if I decide to go to Davis and you need a horse fix I'm hoping mine will be at the barns your talking about next to the vet school

I have taken a hiatus from horses due to finances/school/work over the last few years... but I have been feeling like something is missing from my life for a long time now.

I feel the same way! I sold my good barrel horse when I started grad school and I miss it so much. I don't just miss the riding, I miss the stress relief I got from barn chores and stuff. I know it is going to be financially difficult but I am going to try and buy a colt to work with during vet school. I just can't picture the next 4 years without a horse!

Members don't see this ad :)
I think it can be done- but it really depends on how good you are at managing your schedule.

Are you going to have time to ride and care for your horse 6 days a week?

Is there a place where you can keep the horse, and if you can't ride- will there be someone who can do it for you?

Do you really want to be stressing out over a horse and its expenses when you should be focusing on school and stressing out about your pathology exam? :p

I'm not in vet school yet, but I had to stop riding for basically the whole Fall semester due to my schedule (classes in the AM, labs in the PM), and I missed it so much I was able to take lessons again this semester. Although I'd much rather ride my guy and start fitting him up for the summer, lessons were better then nothing at all. I ride twice a week now, and my semester is a lot calmer then last semester...would you consider taking lessons at a barn?

I am definitely keeping my horse with me through vet school at Davis. I have found the time to ride her through undergrad + working, and even with the increased demands of vet school, I will MAKE time to ride at least a few times a week, plus visit every day. I have her boarded a Russell Ranch, a nice facility only 5min from campus, and with full care (feeding /cleaning) and a big run, she can handle a day without me. It is also good that she is now older and quieter so she is sane on just a half hour of exercise vs. the hour+ when I first got her (OTTB). I would love to half lease her if I found someone I trusted, but I am very picky and I am the only one who has ridden her for 5 years, so we have a strong bond.

If possible bring your horse to school, your sanity will thank you!

I am definitely keeping my horse with me through vet school at Davis. I have found the time to ride her through undergrad + working, and even with the increased demands of vet school, I will MAKE time to ride at least a few times a week, plus visit every day. I have her boarded a Russell Ranch, a nice facility only 5min from campus, and with full care (feeding /cleaning) and a big run, she can handle a day without me. It is also good that she is now older and quieter so she is sane on just a half hour of exercise vs. the hour+ when I first got her (OTTB). I would love to half lease her if I found someone I trusted, but I am very picky and I am the only one who has ridden her for 5 years, so we have a strong bond.

If possible bring your horse to school, your sanity will thank you!

Do you know what the board is there? I emailed them a week ago but never heard back and it was one of the places I was looking at if I couldnt get both mine in to the oncampus facility

Have you thought about leasing a horse? I had 2 horses(by good barrel horse and my old man which was the first horse I ever owned) all the way up to about a year ago. I went to community college and had planty of time but my job made it a little tougher so I cut back. Then when I transfered to 4 year I had absolutly no time. I sold my barrel horse but I still have my old horse. I dont ride and miss it soo much but love just being able to go out and see him. My family thinks its such a waste of money but it keep sme sane and I could never in a million years image selling by boy plus he is 25. But instead of jumping right in and buying one I would try leasing one or find a local barn that you can just go out and ride whenever you would like with out having to deal with making time for farrier/vet appoinments and it will give you more time without the hassle.

Do you know what the board is there? I emailed them a week ago but never heard back and it was one of the places I was looking at if I couldnt get both mine in to the oncampus facility

There are different prices per the size of the stall:

East Side Stall with Paddock $365/per month - $355 if paid by the 3rd
Standard Stall with Paddock $380/per month - $370 if paid by the 3rd
Mare Barn Stall $410/per month - $400 if paid by the 3rd
Foaling Stall with Paddock $425/per month - $415 if paid by the 3rd

I am surprised she didn't answer your email, she is a really good barn manager, but she is also very busy. I think we currently have two stalls open, one in the Mare Barn and one in a Standard Stall with Paddock.

These prices may seem expensive, but for the area they are cheap! Also, even though board at the equestrian center on campus is cheaper, I would never board my horse there, it is poorly run and the horses don't seem happy, but they are making improvements and it is getting better.

Thanks for all the above responses and for not flaming me!! It's very difficult for non-horse people to understand why this is important to me. It really is something in life that makes me just feel so much better (and sane) even if I can't do it every single day.

I would only consider a full service boarding facility, because I do NOT want to be worried about getting there to feed, turnout, clean stall, etc. so that would all be taken care of. Also, all the facilities in this area have 12 - 24 hour turnout, so if I don't get there for a few days I doubt the horse would miss me too much. :)

Anyway, believe it or not, leasing does not save that much money, maybe $100 less per month. Also, there are so many issues (what happens if the horse gets hurt while I am riding it, what happens if the owner doesn't like my training methods, etc.) I guess I would do it with the right person, but that would be hard to find.

My other feeling is that if it really isn't working out I could always re-sell the horse, and I plan on buying something with re-sale value in mind. I used to do this for a living, so I have no problem saying goodbye if it comes to that.

As for pasture board - I have so much trouble considering this!! I guess b/c I always had show horses and the thought of them being out in all types of weather freaks me out! :) Anyone have anything to share about that? It would be a lot cheaper if I was willing to consider pasture board. What about the bugs? Thunder/lightening? Ugh, seems scary not to have a stall.

I am surprised she didn't answer your email, she is a really good barn manager, but she is also very busy. I think we currently have two stalls open, one in the Mare Barn and one in a Standard Stall with Paddock.

These prices may seem expensive, but for the area they are cheap! Also, even though board at the equestrian center on campus is cheaper, I would never board my horse there, it is poorly run and the horses don't seem happy, but they are making improvements and it is getting better.

Holy crap, this is insanely cheap!! I don't think I ever paid that little amount for a stall, in NY or in FL. The prices I'm getting in Gainesville are $400-$500/month, and these are not fancy places.

Thank you! Are all the stalls box stalls? My gelding would die if I put him outside, my mare on the other hand shes just as happy living in a pasture full of cows.

I thought from what I read on them they have an indoor arena correct? I dont blame her for not replying it was sent through another website that they list on. As pricing its just what I'm looking for. The current place I'm at is $600 per horse for a 12x12 plus 12x12 run, thankfully I only have to pay my horses costs there and not full board.

As for pasture board - I have so much trouble considering this!! I guess b/c I always had show horses and the thought of them being out in all types of weather freaks me out! :) Anyone have anything to share about that? It would be a lot cheaper if I was willing to consider pasture board. What about the bugs? Thunder/lightening? Ugh, seems scary not to have a stall.

I actually think that most horses are perfectly happy living outside, provided that they do have adequate shelter if they want it. It kinda freaks me out too, but I think it is just that us humans wouldn't want that so we tend to think our horses wouldn't either. My horse lived in a pasture for her first two years, just hanging out and growing up with other horses. They had a nice spacious loafing shed where they could hang out when the weather was particularly nasty, but you might be surprised and what kind of weather a horse doesn't mind grazing in. Pasture board with only your horse in the field might make them a little lonely and it takes some horses a while to adjust if they are used to being stalled. I would also only consider it if I knew that my horse at least got a "once over" everyday, during feeding or whatever, since injuries and such are more easily looked over when a horse is out on pasture.

I'm also only going to consider full-service facilities. To me the most important thing is knowing that my horse will be safe and well cared for and I won't have to worry if I can't get to the barn and check on her everyday.

My other feeling is that if it really isn't working out I could always re-sell the horse, and I plan on buying something with re-sale value in mind. I used to do this for a living, so I have no problem saying goodbye if it comes to that.

I agree with everyone that having your own horse to spend QT with is a major stress reliever, but I do have a few thoughts. With the economy as it is, horses are really tough to sell. The super expensive show horses are still selling, but there is a very small market for horses in the <$20,000 range. It doesn't sound like you're anticipating having to sell the horse while still in school, but I still wouldn't count on it as an easy solution if you should fall on hard times. The people I know that used to buy project horses, put some mileage on them/fix their quirks, and then re-sell them aren't doing it anymore, because the money you put into them (board, farrier, vet) winds up exceeding the value you can add to the horse. Now if the economy starts to come around, that's a different story.

As for pasture board, I agree that it's not for every horse, but most horses are really happy living outside. I love the satisfaction of tucking my horse in at night, happily munching on hay in his stall, all snuggy in his blanket (horribly cold PA winters) but I also know that he just assume be outside with his buddies all the time. Besides the benefit of being cheaper, pasture board allows them to get the exercise they need and makes them much more manageable. This could come in handy since you probably won't have time to ride more than a few times a week. If my horse goes to vet school (he's successfully completed undergrad :laugh:) I will definitely find a place to pasture board him so that I don't have to worry about riding if I'm too busy.

Oh, and to answer your original question, the answer is obvious. RIDE!

Yeah, I guess I could deal with pasture board as long as there was a decent run in shed or some other shelter. During the summer in Florida it rains everyday, and I'd like to know he has the option to get out of the weather if he chooses.

It's such a tough decision, but I did decide that I won't do it unless I find just the right horse at the right price. I know what I want and I'm going to be picky. I'm looking for a great deal and won't settle for anything.

Thank you! Are all the stalls box stalls? My gelding would die if I put him outside, my mare on the other hand shes just as happy living in a pasture full of cows.

I thought from what I read on them they have an indoor arena correct? I dont blame her for not replying it was sent through another website that they list on. As pricing its just what I'm looking for. The current place I'm at is $600 per horse for a 12x12 plus 12x12 run, thankfully I only have to pay my horses costs there and not full board.

All the stalls with runs have dutch doors so you can shut them into the box stall portion, plus the mare barn(just a name, geldings live there too:laugh:) is fully covered. We do have a indoor arena, and a "outdoor arena" that only has old bedding as footing but is actually really nice to ride in. There is a trail around the property, but to get to outside trails you have to ride about a 1/4 mile down the road.

We have a website with some pictures on it at: http://www.davishorseboarding.com/

Wow, free wi-fi! :laugh: What a great feature! :p

Anyway, believe it or not, leasing does not save that much money, maybe $100 less per month. Also, there are so many issues (what happens if the horse gets hurt while I am riding it, what happens if the owner doesn't like my training methods, etc.) I guess I would do it with the right person, but that would be hard to find.

The key is to find someone who is looking to cut down on their horse expenses, has just gotten pregnant, is too busy with school, etc. I ended up with two AWESOME opportunities in high school on really nice horses for just the price of board--the owners still covered shoes, vet, etc. These opportunities aren't advertised though--you really have to be "plugged in" at a local barn--I found both opportunities through my trainer who knew I was looking and that an owner was also looking for someone to lease. With the economy the way it is, I bet you'd be surprised at what you can find...you just have to find a "hands off" owner, which I was lucky enough to do in both cases.

I am also in the horse or no horse dilemna :(

I have two guys right now, who I adore and I have owned for 5-6 years. My parents are really really pushing for me to sell both (or give one away as he is not super sellable, especially in this market!). I think I can part with my pony, who is amazing, but he would love to teach a kid or have a small adult to love on him and do everything with. My horse is definitely mine, he is super needy/neurotic/weird and I just think I'll be miserable without him :(!!

My concerns are:
1) Time in school - I am paying SO MUCH for this education I want to take advantage of every opportunity and not pass up on a chance to go to a club, etc. because I have to ride. Also what if there is some sort of emergency (i.e. hurt eye) and he is requiring daily treatment, etc?
2) Money - Never can have enough of that
3) Where in the world to board?? Oh, the joy of city school!

Ideally, I would love to bring my horse and lease him out nearby either half lease or something and then ride on occasion. Any Penn people want to half lease a horse? :laugh: Any Penn people know a barn? :thumbup:

I honestly really wish I didn't have horses right now. I would definitely still want to ride on occasion through school but having the responsibility of owning a horse is just unnecessary stress IMO. But I totally understand not being able to repress the horse bug, it is HARD!

Ben and Me I like your new avatar! Wow I sound like a forum-nerd...

<--------The pony :)

For as long as I have owned horses they have been pasture boarded, 24/7, 365 days a year in Florida. The storms are wickid in the summer and the lightning freaks my out but I can afford to pay $400+ a horse per month, I just can't. I also leave my horses turned out during hurricanes, back in 04 I think it was when we had all the hurricanes here they stayed out and both came out literally without one mark on them. I guess I should consider myself lucky for that. But pasture board is all I know and my horses have done fine. They definatly do love it more than being inside. At one time I did have to keep one of my horses in and he was so miserable. He also had very terrible stall manners and made a mess of that thing in no time.

I will be taking a horse with me no matter where I go. My parents already know and they are the ones that really want me to, because they know what I am like with out horses. I didnt have one for 1 semester when I went away to my first undergrad school, and I was crazy without having them around. I have had horses since I was born, so there is no way I can live without them. :) I say go for it:)

The key is to find someone who is looking to cut down on their horse expenses, has just gotten pregnant, is too busy with school, etc. These opportunities aren't advertised though--you really have to be "plugged in" at a local barn--I found both opportunities through my trainer who knew I was looking and that an owner was also looking for someone to lease. With the economy the way it is, I bet you'd be surprised at what you can find...you just have to find a "hands off" owner, which I was lucky enough to do in both cases.

This is what I am doing now. We bought a property that can support horses, but since I knew I was applying to vet school, we have worked out a mixture of leases on other people's horses and/or pasture boarding on our property. Much like you mentioned, these are owners who now don't have time for thier horse (had twins, had to get a 2nd job, lost job and not traveling for new job, etc.) but can't sell in the current economy and still have heart strings attached. Before settling on anything, we discuss training philosophy, expectations, insurance, etc. Then draft legal documents our lawyer checks over and make the deal. Amazingly, we haven't had issues, and the individuals are actually appreciative of having a good caretaker for thier horse and a little extra money to offset the costs.

I have two horses now, and am planning on selling one and bringing the other with me. The one I am selling is younger and extremely fun to ride, but I don't want to feel pressured in vet school to exercise her regularely. My other horse is 17 this year, so I am just planning on doing weekly/biweekly trail rides with him as a stress reliever :)

Just food for thought, I will be attending Purdue in the fall and found that vet students get 50% off for up to 3 animals, which will be nice if you have a horse that needs a little maintenance (hock injections :oops:). Other schools may offer discounts on feed as well? I know Purdue does for dogs/cats, but not for horses.