Equine: UPenn or Cornell?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

WishingnHoping

Full Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Weigh in guys ... the two top vets in Maine (and we don't have very many) both went to Cornell. They are top notch. No one here went to UPenn and is doing equine.

Neither location bothers me, I'm not particularly swayed towards PBL or didactic learning. I don't like the split campus idea but I do like being in Philly for a little while.

How does equine measure up between the two? Are they about the same quality? I think Cornell must not get as many cases through there but they have PBL so theoretically that would help that "problem".
 
Two residents at NCSU's Large Animal Hospital (equine focused) went to Cornell, and they are both GREAT.

I *think* you are getting too hung up on which one's "best" and not which one is "best for you"! Visit Cornell, see if it works for you. Great school.

You cannot go wrong. You simply can't - so enjoy and pick the one that fits you best.
 
Thanks SillyFilly. I guess it's so hard since I just haven't visited Cornell. I have until Friday to tell them (!!!!) so I'm not sure I can visit. Maybe I can call and have them extend it until Monday.

Ugh. So they are both good schools. ha, I was hoping someone would come on and say "GO TO ____. It is the better of the two as an equine school!" And make my choice for me. 😀
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Go to Penn! Its the better of the two as an equine school!

hehe, before any Cornellians(?) get mad at me, I am kidding, but I am equine and I am at Penn for that reason. But going where you are comfortable is definitely good advice. Penn was the right choice for me, Cornell definitely was not.
 
WishingnHoping- have you decided against Tufts, then?

in terms of Penn or Cornell... you've picked a great comparison! SillyFilly's right... both schools are incredible, go where works for you. Small town or urban? financially the same? personal considerations (sig other, family, etc)? PBL or traditional? Cornell has great cows, if you're thinking about dairy, but clearly penn is no slouch either. go with your gut.

just an edit here, as I saw on another thread that you never visited Cornell - I really, really liked it there! the clinics are gorgeous, the instructional facilities were fine, the professors are REALLY engaged and actively want you to learn, students seemed really happy.
 
WishingnHoping- have you decided against Tufts, then?

in terms of Penn or Cornell... you've picked a great comparison! SillyFilly's right... both schools are incredible, go where works for you. Small town or urban? financially the same? personal considerations (sig other, family, etc)? PBL or traditional? Cornell has great cows, if you're thinking about dairy, but clearly penn is no slouch either. go with your gut.

just an edit here, as I saw on another thread that you never visited Cornell - I really, really liked it there! the clinics are gorgeous, the instructional facilities were fine, the professors are REALLY engaged and actively want you to learn, students seemed really happy.

Hoodle, I'm glad you weighed in on this. 😀 I was hoping you would. Yes, I've decided against Tufts. It's just not strong enough equine-wise even though it is closer to my home. It'd be nice to get away for a little while anyways! 😉 So, it really does sound like they are comparable equine schools. Good to know.