Equipment Purchases

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

j_hsieh

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I'm in the midst of purchasing equipment for school and was wondering if I'd actually use some of this equipment when I finish optometry school. For example, don't offices already come equipped with trial lens frames and sets and color vision tests? Would you recommend purchasing Worth Dot, Ishihara, and stereo tests (if so, Randot or Stereofly?)? Thanks so much!

Members don't see this ad.

Its hard to say whether the place you end up working for will have equipment or not. It would depend on whether you buy a practice from another doc and whether or not you keep the equipment. I would stick to buying whatever your school requires. We have to buy either 14 or 24 plate ishihara, and we all get Randot Stereo. Stereo fly is mostly used for kids and only gives you one measurement of seconds of arc I think. I have the Randot and 14 plate Ishihara. We all have to buy trial lens sets at IU.

AOSA at our school is offering the Munsell D-15 for $80. Is this commonly used in private practice, or are the color plates standard procedure?

Ishihara is used as a screening test on every NEW patient or patient with a color vision complaint. The Munsell D-15 is used as a diagnositic test to further differentiate between the types of color vision defects. $80 is a really good price. I plan to buy one before I graduate, but you don't need it while in school.

As far as the Stereo Fly, it gives the patient monocular cues to stereo vision. This can lead to false stereo testing...meaning someone could have stereo problems, yet still get the right answers on the Stereo Fly. Get the Randot.

Basically, buy what the school requires. The prices are deeply discounted so you will save an arm and a leg. Besides, whos to say you are going to go work at a place that has everything. You may choose to open your office cold, or buy from a guy who has been practicing for 100 years and has not bought anything new in the past couple decades. Your school loans are giving in porportion to what you have to buy that year, so you should have the money.

I don't know how it works where you are, but we have to bring everything into clinic with us. The exam room only has the chair, phoropter, keratometer, slitlamp, and projector. Everything else is our responsibility.

Good Luck