Equipment Recommendations

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hnines

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi! I'm starting OD1 at UMSL this fall, and we had a pre-orientation Zoom call today. Equipment reps were there and presented our options for our diagnostic kit (we can choose between Keeler, WelchAllyn, or Heine). Normally, this would have been an on-campus event and we could have tried the equipment out, but because of COVID-19, it was transitioned to an online meeting. So I'm looking for equipment recommendations.

I really liked the Heine presentation, and that is by far the most popular at UMSL. My concern is that the faculty member who is the liaison with our equipment reps said that the Heine handles are pretty large, and if you have small hands, you should not even consider them. (I do have small hands.) Has anyone else found that to be true? Do you have other features you would consider? We have to order in June, and our equipment arrives in the fall, so I won't get a chance to try them out before ordering. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I went with Heine and I also have small hands. When I was in your position, I didn't know which handles to get. So I got both (one large and one small). I like the small handle because it fits just right in my hands but I also got used to using the big handle as well. Overall, I do not have a preference but if i had to choose I'd pick the large handle. Why? Because I find that the battery life lasts longer with the larger handle.

When it comes to BIO, I prefer Keeler. The views look better to me with Keeler. I'm not sure if they use different light bulb than Heine. I don't remember. But Heine BIO is still good to use.