Equissage for canine and equine massage

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UPenn Groupie

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay, first off, don't make fun of me....I know the one week or less programs are often essentially a joke compared to actual school or graduate studies...however...

I'm really interested in taking a course in canine and maybe also equine massage therapy. Equissage is the leading one that teaches it. I'm moreso interested just for my own self enrichment - to learn a new skill - but if it also turned into a side job to do massages for a profit, that would be nice too. I didn't get into vet school this year and I'm working on my job plan while I'm also reapplying, but this isn't something I expect to be full time or any substantial income - like I said, just for fun, and maybe a part time side job.

I'm curious to hear reviews from anyone who might have taken the course...I figure there's a chance someone out there did. Also, did you do the on site or home study program (home study is materials mailed to you - not online - then you have to mail back a written exam and video of giving a massage to pass the final for certification)?

Mainly, is it worth the tuition cost?

I know there's already an old thread on this topic - bigger focus was on equine so I'm interested in hearing if anyone did the canine course, especially home study, and what you thought.

What I'm thinking of doing is taking the home study thing for canine, then if it seems like it's worth it, I'll take a trip to Virginia and do the on-site program for equine. I wouldn't do home study for equine.

I own a horse and dogs so I have plenty of practice pets :)

Thanks for any advice!

Members don't see this ad.

I took a course in T-Touch, and use it frequently. I do not currently use it to earn $ ( I train animals for that.)

I tend to attend seminars, expos, etc...rather than actual 'schools' with 'tuition.' I don't know about homestudy...the only home study I ever considered was KP Academy for marker training....and I decided it didn't add enough to my skill set (based on already having a lot of experience) to justify the tuition.

I have had T-Touch help me obtain jobs.

Thanks for the info - I read over the website, ttouch.com, and it sounds interesting. I should start attending more seminars/expos, it's something I know I don't do enough of and there are a lot of good opportunities to learn that I'm missing out on. It just never seems like there's enough time..but c'est la vie!

The reason I want to do something at one of the 'schools' is so it counts for certification, and something that at least has the potential to be a source of some income, even though I'm not positive I'd use it for that (meaning I want to take a course anyway - but I want it to be something that I have the option of using for a job). It sounds like with ttouch it's not for certification, and they offer a more extensive course to become a practitioner, but it actually says to not expect that to turn into a profitable career so I'm not sure it's worth the extra money to spend on the course for it.

I think I'm going to get started with just some books and read up on the basics of animal massage, then maybe go ahead with the home study canine massage therapy course from Equissage.

Anyone else out there that could respond? I'd love more advice or opinions!