Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

ER 2002 Match

Discussion in 'Clinical Rotations' started by bigfrank, Apr 26, 2002.

1. bigfrank

bigfrank SDN Donor

Hello everyone,

I was wondering if anyone has any idea what the US-MD unmatch rate was in 2002 for Emergency Medicine, meaning, **what percent of US-MDs that applied into Emergency Medicine were actually matched in Emergency medicine**?

I have no idea and have heard rumors that it might be becoming somewhat less competitive, due to the primary care aspects, burnout, etc.

I don't have any resources (i.e., no numbers to crunch), so I'm really not being lazy, just inquisitive.

Does anyone have an idea?

Thanks, bigfrank

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. I'd recommend checking out Iserson's Getting into a Residency. It lists stats just like this.

If you want an online source, check out the national residency match program website (nrmp.org). They post the data tables with all of this info.

The numbers are a bit tough to sort out since some people rank only EM, some rank some EM and some other programs and everyone ranks a bunch of places. But...there were 125 EM programs in 2002 (PGY 1-3, 2-4, and 1-4) which offered 1211 spots with about 8 ranks per position. I don't think this means 8 people per spot, but rather about 8 rankings of the program per spot which would have to be aggregated and divided by the total number ranking EM.

I'm pretty sure Iserson does this work for you (although not for 2002).

4. Hi, I tried to post this as a new message but my computer wouldn't let me log in, so I had to reply to a pre-existing message.

The UT-Houston Emergency Medicine residency is dead. I have it on good word that after many years on probation, they're through. In all likelihood, they will not be accepting applications for the coming year. They will attempt to graduate the current crop of residents, but if they cannot do so, then some will be left in the lurch, forced to transfer to other programs. :p

Sad, but true.

Just thought I'd pass on the info.

bigfrank, where you do you go to med school?

5. oldman

oldman Senior Citizen
    Gold Donor

Attending Physician
    here's a link for info about the Iserson's book: <a href="http://www.galenpress.com/020.html" target="_blank">http://www.galenpress.com/020.html</a>

6. Ratty

Ratty Banned
    Banned

To answer your initial question:

The percentage of U.S. seniors who applied in EM and were UNmatched into this specialty was 6.5% in 2002.

This data came from statistics linked on the SAEM web page.

Hope this helps. Good luck.

7. bigfrank

bigfrank SDN Donor

Thank you very much Ratty; I really appreciate it.

--Bigfrank