ER Career Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jordews

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,
Here is something I have heard about a career in ER that I'm not sure is true and I was wondering what you guys thought about it. A few people have told me that as a private ER physician it is kind of hard to hold a job. They say that the ER physician is kind of at the bottom of the ladder as far as bringing in revenue for the hospital, and thus can be juggled around a lot. I've heard that it's not uncommon for ER docs to start off at one hospital, settle down and buy a house, then end up having to switch hospitals (to find a new or better job) and end up commuting a ways to work. Do any of you guys have experience with this or know if it's even remotely true? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

If you work for a corporation, then yes, it's entirely possible. If you work for a hospital (the hospital itself, not a company the hospital contracts with), or work for an independent group, especially if you are a partner, then this is less likely.

You are in Nashville. Do you have access to Corey Slovis, Keith Wrenn, etc.? If so, ask them about it. They're a great bunch of people there.

Where these EM docs who told you this? The vast majority of the ones I know have been at the same place for years. own homes, etc.

And at my medical school, the ED supports several other departments financially.

Members don't see this ad :)
At the place I work, easily 50% of all admissions come through the ED, maybe more. And they admit a small percentage of all the cases they see, so if there's one department that is definitely producing, it would be the ED.

don't know anything about the private practice lives of er physicians.

as far as ers supporting other departments...

ers are frequently loss-leaders for academic institutions. the reason for this is that ers see many uninsured patients. further, if these patients are admitted for emergent in-patient medical/surgical care, then the losses pile up even more rapidly.

as evidence of this dynamic, a great number of ers have closed in the last few years in spite of the great importance of having this important emergent medical service.

Do you guys know the specifics of the options for a practicing ER physician, as far as working for a group, employed by the hospital, working for a corporation etc. and what are the pros and cons of each of these. Thanks

The frequent use of "ER physician" here (even amongst medical professionals) is making me laugh... :laugh:

It just goes to show you the strength of the media's influence on our culture....

Hi Mr. Carter, I am an "Emergency Room doctor"....

Hi Mr. Green, I am an Operating Room Surgeon.....

:laugh:

Its not a room, its a department. thus EMP.

Just like cardiologist is cardiology, and endocrinology is endocrinology.

Leukocyte said:
The frequent use of "ER physician" here (even amongst medical professionals) is making me laugh... :laugh:

It just goes to show you the strength of the media's influence on our culture....

Hi Mr. Carter, I am an "Emergency Room doctor"....

Hi Mr. Green, I am an Operating Room Surgeon.....

:laugh:

Leukocyte,
Just curious as to what you would call a physician who works in the ER? What terminology would you prefer?

Hawk22 said:
Leukocyte,
Just curious as to what you would call a physician who works in the ER? What terminology would you prefer?

I think Dr. Roja answered this question, my dear sir. ;)

Out of curiosity I wanted to ask. How many SDNer's acctually care at all about the ER doc., v. EP, v. EMP issue discussed above? If you do. Why do you?

Leuk, are you implying that people call someone an ER doc based on the popular tv show ER? If you are, your mistaken. The show's name is based on Michael Crichton's experiences in medical school where like many many places the ED is called the ER and the people working there ER docs.

drkp said:
Out of curiosity I wanted to ask. How many SDNer's acctually care at all about the ER doc., v. EP, v. EMP issue discussed above? If you do. Why do you?

Leuk, are you implying that people call someone an ER doc based on the popular tv show ER? If you are, your mistaken. The show's name is based on Michael Crichton's experiences in medical school where like many many places the ED is called the ER and the people working there ER docs.

It is a bigger issue in academic institutions in my experience. It does bug me personally, but I generally don't make a big deal of it.

- H

Hawk22 said:
Leukocyte,

"Works with uninsured poor or cheap rich persons with an emergent hang nail at 3am that realy, really hurts" -physician? :D

I can't wait!

drkp said:
...The show's name is based on Michael Crichton's experiences in medical school where like many many places the ED is called the ER and the people working there ER docs.

Wow!....he sure did have a very interesting time in medical school if that show was based on his TRUE experiences ! ;)

....Where I did my Surgery core, the EM doc wanted people to call him a Traumatologist!!! :confused: :eek:

My impression is that people in academia prefer to be called Emergency Medicine physicians.

ER doc can mean anything...any doc who works in the ER.

-A Family Medicine guy can be an ER doc;
-A Trauma dude can be an ER doc;

I would imagine calling a Family Practitioner who does OB an Obstetritian can be annoying to Ob/Gyns.

Similarly...calling a General Practitioner a Family Practitioner can be annying to FPs.

"emp" huh?

ok... would you refer to an ob/gyn attending as an ogp, or to an ent surgeon as an "op", or to a plastic and reconstructive surgeon as a "prsp"? i sure wouldn't.

Celiac Plexus said:
"emp" huh?

ok... would you refer to an ob/gyn attending as an ogp, or to an ent surgeon as an "op", or to a plastic and reconstructive surgeon as a "prsp"? i sure wouldn't.

Actually it is "EP" - emergency physician, not EMP. But hey...

Celiac Plexus said:
"emp" huh?

OK, operating room doctor.

mike

*sniff, sniff*

Does anyone else smell a hint of wet troll fur?

Maybe my nose is just stopped up.

Actually, I just prefer people call me by my name as my job doesnt' define who I am.

Hey! that's my nickname.

So there I am, in a PALS class with a bunch of other incoming interns. The instructor is asking what specialties we're in. I tell him I'm doing EM. He then asks if "there are any other ERs".

While I think EP is the most correct I probably won't blow a gasket at ER doc if the person isn't trying to be a jerk about it. Being called an actual room, however, is a bit much. :)

Take care,
Jeff