• SDN Site Updates

Hey everyone! The site will be down for approximately 2 hours on Thursday, August 5th for site updates.

Doctor Octopus

Hospitalist
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
May 24, 2002
"Picksburgh"
Idonthaveone
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
I just can't get enough of these guys. I've learned many new ways to string cuss words together. Also, these guys have serious Houdini powers for getting out of restraints.

ocean11

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jun 24, 2002
Status (Visible)
there was a guy MASTURBATING in the ER the other day LOL... I didn't see it, but heard they put the guy out with haldol and ativan LOL....

About the Ads

Arsenic

posting from the future
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
May 5, 2004
NYC
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
there was a guy MASTURBATING in the ER the other day LOL... I didn't see it, but heard they put the guy out with haldol and ativan LOL....

on my psych rotation there was this SCPT/antisocial patient that was CONSTANTLY masturbating on the unit in front of the nurses and other patients. we would either give him a 5/2 of haldol/ativan or put him in these isolation rooms that were video monitored. he knew he was on camera in those rooms so he'd get right in front of the camera and just start masturbating there too. the nurses always had a little piece of paper taped over thast particular part of the screen.

Winged Scapula

Cougariffic!
Staff member
Volunteer Staff
Apr 9, 2000
forums.studentdoctor.net
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
I really learned to suture on drunks in the ER - they always seemed to relax, start snoring and ignored me shaving their biker beard or head and of course, just as with vets, no one seemed to care whether my skills were good or I left the guy ugly and disfigured. I've come a (relatively) long way since then.

GregsAnatomy

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 19, 2003
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
My favorite was Jane Doe who came in from a bar on Fort Lauderdale beach with EtOH>300, tox screen positive for cannabinoids, cocaine, opiates, and amphetamines....AKA...the South Beach diet :p

oompaloompa

0.20 Blood Caffiene level
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 22, 2003
Dallas, TX
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
I really learned to suture on drunks in the ER - they always seemed to relax, start snoring and ignored me shaving their biker beard or head and of course, just as with vets, no one seemed to care whether my skills were good or I left the guy ugly and disfigured. I've come a (relatively) long way since then.

I second the fact that the drunks in the ER are an excellent source of suture experience. However, I do have a word of warning in the form of my most traumatizing experience in med school:

It was my 3rd week in trauma surgery and I was happily suturing away on a drunk with suspected schizo whose ETOH levels indicated a likely comatose state(even if he was an elephant). Then out of nowhere, in one swift display of superman strength, he flails wildly out of his restraints, knocking down everything in sight, also managing to bury the suture needle in my forearm. After everything dies down and said drunk is tied down again(this time not with the "soft" restraints), the resident appears and announces that he's not schizo after all, but is likely suffering from the advanced stages of HIV encephalopathy - due to his viral count of 18 million:eek:
It was like slow motion to me, I look down at my arm and look up to see the staff looking at me like I'm already dead. Long story short, I took those damn HIV cocktails for 6 weeks(highly unpleasant- understand the noncompliance now) until my labs came back negative :D It's funny now, but I was completely convinced I was going to die.
Anyway, this story isn't meant to scare anyone, but don't be stupid like me- those drunks are walking disease vectors(HIV, Hep, etc.) approach with caution.

It's better to be lucky than good any day of the week!;)

Winged Scapula

Cougariffic!
Staff member
Volunteer Staff
Apr 9, 2000
forums.studentdoctor.net
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
If you would just add a little bit of Amphetamines and Cocaine to you diet you can quit surgery and become americas next top model. (just keep being our mod though)

Just add some PVC pipe to lengthen my femurs (vague reference to NJ/NYC bone stealers) to make me model height and I'll be kickin' Tyra to the curb.

Pass the amphetamine turkey roll-ups with ricotta and cocaine fluff!;)

DOtobe

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 13, 2000
Pittsburgh, PA
www.myspace.com
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
I second the fact that the drunks in the ER are an excellent source of suture experience. However, I do have a word of warning in the form of my most traumatizing experience in med school:

It was my 3rd week in trauma surgery and I was happily suturing away on a drunk with suspected schizo whose ETOH levels indicated a likely comatose state(even if he was an elephant). Then out of nowhere, in one swift display of superman strength, he flails wildly out of his restraints, knocking down everything in sight, also managing to bury the suture needle in my forearm. After everything dies down and said drunk is tied down again(this time not with the "soft" restraints), the resident appears and announces that he's not schizo after all, but is likely suffering from the advanced stages of HIV encephalopathy - due to his viral count of 18 million:eek:
It was like slow motion to me, I look down at my arm and look up to see the staff looking at me like I'm already dead. Long story short, I took those damn HIV cocktails for 6 weeks(highly unpleasant- understand the noncompliance now) until my labs came back negative :D It's funny now, but I was completely convinced I was going to die.
Anyway, this story isn't meant to scare anyone, but don't be stupid like me- those drunks are walking disease vectors(HIV, Hep, etc.) approach with caution.

It's better to be lucky than good any day of the week!;)

:eek:

That would freak me out, oompaloompa. I wouldn't be able to sleep at night...

About the Ads
This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.