ER residency + MPH

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

in1Q84

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm a medical student interested in emergency medicine and hospital administration. Is ER a good choice for someone thinking of eventually going into administration/policy? I figured it would be because it allows flexibility in schedule for extra schooling if needed and also because it's where many of the management problems arises (it drains money but also very necessary... huge prob for urban hospitals that service the uninsured). Any thoughts on that? And, also, what programs offer a chance to get an MPH during residency? I think Downstate and Brown do. Any others???

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,

I'm a medical student interested in emergency medicine and hospital administration. Is ER a good choice for someone thinking of eventually going into administration/policy? I figured it would be because it allows flexibility in schedule for extra schooling if needed and also because it's where many of the management problems arises (it drains money but also very necessary... huge prob for urban hospitals that service the uninsured). Any thoughts on that? And, also, what programs offer a chance to get an MPH during residency? I think Downstate and Brown do. Any others???

Thanks!

My first thought is that you should practice the type of medicine you want to practice. I don't see a point in going through residency, period, if you're going to end up a career writer (Crichton) or artist (Netter). But, you're right, certain specialties would be pretty prohibitive to being a secondary job... although Dr Oz is a CT surgeon and Dr Gupta is Nsurg, and somehow they've turned surgery into a hobby/diversion from their TV facetime.

Second, is it depends what you mean by administration. An MPH may be helpful. But, a MBA might be better depending on what you want.

Third, unless you want to kill yourself, you're probably not going to have the time or energy to complete a degree during residency, whatever you do. You could make time to take a handful of classes, but that's probably all you could manage comfortably... what you can do uncomfortably is up to you. Take it from someone who's watched other people try it.

Hi,

Thanks!

This is why I went into EM and so far it has been great - tons of opportunities for admin and fellowships for MPHs etc. My program has an admin fellowship with an MBA

point is - do whatever you want with EM - it's a great field that does give you the flexibility to define your own career

Members don't see this ad :)
It's probably as good as any other field but no better for that sort of work.

Thanks so much for your advices. I'm not thinking about going into ER just because I want to do administration later... I just like ER for ER itself. Even if I wasn't thinking about doing something else later on, I would still do ER. I'm kinda so infatuated with it right now that I'm planning on marrying it... :love:

The idea of working in administration just kinda came to me when my attending was complaining about how MBAs who know nothing about medicine run hospitals... He was kinda bashing. I don't necessarily agree with him. But, I just got inspired in the moment.

I totally agree that it would be "uncomfortable" to do a residency and get an extra degree.... That is why I am looking for a program that would let me do both...

I was thinking about getting an MBA too. But, would MBA be sufficient? I feel like I would need both MBA and MPH to know enough about business AND hospital administration/health policy... Am I now just being greedy??

zinjanthropus and doctormedic, could you guys mind being just a little more specific?? I am just trying to find out what programs are out there.

I wish I had gotten my MPH when I had the chance. Then, I was just too lazy and did not want to shell out extra 40 grand. But, then again, I got invaluable life experience instead of a degree... So, I guess I shouldn't complain. BAH. Sorry, now I am just ranting... just so tired.

Thanks so much for your advices. I'm not thinking about going into ER just because I want to do administration later... I just like ER for ER itself. Even if I wasn't thinking about doing something else later on, I would still do ER. I'm kinda so infatuated with it right now that I'm planning on marrying it... :love:

The idea of working in administration just kinda came to me when my attending was complaining about how MBAs who know nothing about medicine run hospitals... He was kinda bashing. I don't necessarily agree with him. But, I just got inspired in the moment.

I totally agree that it would be "uncomfortable" to do a residency and get an extra degree.... That is why I am looking for a program that would let me do both...

I was thinking about getting an MBA too. But, would MBA be sufficient? I feel like I would need both MBA and MPH to know enough about business AND hospital administration/health policy... Am I now just being greedy??

zinjanthropus and doctormedic, could you guys mind being just a little more specific?? I am just trying to find out what programs are out there.

I wish I had gotten my MPH when I had the chance. Then, I was just too lazy and did not want to shell out extra 40 grand. But, then again, I got invaluable life experience instead of a degree... So, I guess I shouldn't complain. BAH. Sorry, now I am just ranting... just so tired.

2 things,
1) if you don't have business pre-reqs you will have to take those before starting an MBA.
2) http://www.saem.org/saemdnn/Home/Communities/MedicalStudents/ResidencyCatalog/tabid/680/Default.aspx
and
http://www.emra.org/emra_match.aspx

generally the 4 year programs have more electice/free time so check those out first. but you have to look at individual programs and see where they have administration as an option for elective. best of luck.

Downstate has ended their EM/MPH track.

Check out BIDMC's "junior attending" option.

2 things,
1) if you don't have business pre-reqs you will have to take those before starting an MBA.
2) http://www.saem.org/saemdnn/Home/Communities/MedicalStudents/ResidencyCatalog/tabid/680/Default.aspx
and
http://www.emra.org/emra_match.aspx

generally the 4 year programs have more electice/free time so check those out first. but you have to look at individual programs and see where they have administration as an option for elective. best of luck.

actually, in our program, all the pre-reqs are waived through an agreement with the business school...you don't even take the GMAT