ER Techs/ EMT's question for you.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rohitbest

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
How much do you guys get paid, just wondering to see what regions pay more than others. I currently get 6 bucks an hour as and EMT-Basic in an ambulance service. and 6 bucks for ER tech. I live in alabama.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm an ER tech in Michigan. I do things like phelbotomy, EKG's, caths, and basic nurse aid duties. We get around $9 an hour, which is on the low side in Michigan, this is a catholic hospital. But it is good experience.

Mossjoh

During college, I was a medic for a FT paramedic-only ambulance serve (65:35 split between emergency and transfers, respectively). We were paid pretty well because we had a really high call volume. The starting pay for medics was 13.90/hr and by the time I was finished I was making 15.75 an hour and pulling OT each week, which definitely paid the bills.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm EMT certified and work as a ER tech in Myrtle Beach, SC and get paid about $10/hour. It's on the low side but I get a lot of responsibility. I cast, splint, cpr, operate EKG's, draw blood, and as a EMT on the back of and ambulance I can intubate. pretty cool

I was an EMT/ER tech in a small, private community hospital in southern California. We made about $8.50 to start. I'm not sure what the bigger public / county hospitals pay. I'm told that the ambulance service (AMR where I was) paid better, and there was lots of overtime to be had.

When I was an ER Tech in Fort Worth, TX I made ~8.50 an hour. Not much, but I enjoyed the experience.

so my assumptions were right, alabama gets paid a littel lower. of course, the cost of living is probably lower here too, so it probably balances out a little. But i know the paramedics here get about 9.50 an hour, even though they do get overtime stuff. Most of them have 2 jobs just to make enough to live.

ER techs get paid from $11.83-13.87/hour here in San Diego. I got that from UCSD medical center job listing when I checked last.