Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

ER Techs/ EMT's question for you.

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by rohitbest, Sep 26, 2001.

1. rohitbest

rohitbest Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

How much do you guys get paid, just wondering to see what regions pay more than others. I currently get 6 bucks an hour as and EMT-Basic in an ambulance service. and 6 bucks for ER tech. I live in alabama.

2. Mossjoh

Mossjoh Mayo Clinic-PGY2
    10+ Year Member

I'm an ER tech in Michigan. I do things like phelbotomy, EKG's, caths, and basic nurse aid duties. We get around $9 an hour, which is on the low side in Michigan, this is a catholic hospital. But it is good experience.

Mossjoh

3. The Fly

The Fly Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

During college, I was a medic for a FT paramedic-only ambulance serve (65:35 split between emergency and transfers, respectively). We were paid pretty well because we had a really high call volume. The starting pay for medics was 13.90/hr and by the time I was finished I was making 15.75 an hour and pulling OT each week, which definitely paid the bills.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Aeromonas

Aeromonas Member
    7+ Year Member

I'm EMT certified and work as a ER tech in Myrtle Beach, SC and get paid about $10/hour. It's on the low side but I get a lot of responsibility. I cast, splint, cpr, operate EKG's, draw blood, and as a EMT on the back of and ambulance I can intubate. pretty cool

5. UCMonkey

UCMonkey Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I was an EMT/ER tech in a small, private community hospital in southern California. We made about $8.50 to start. I'm not sure what the bigger public / county hospitals pay. I'm told that the ambulance service (AMR where I was) paid better, and there was lots of overtime to be had.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. titan

titan Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

When I was an ER Tech in Fort Worth, TX I made ~8.50 an hour. Not much, but I enjoyed the experience.

7. OP
    OP
    rohitbest

rohitbest Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

so my assumptions were right, alabama gets paid a littel lower. of course, the cost of living is probably lower here too, so it probably balances out a little. But i know the paramedics here get about 9.50 an hour, even though they do get overtime stuff. Most of them have 2 jobs just to make enough to live.

8. sproggin

sproggin Member
    7+ Year Member

ER techs get paid from $11.83-13.87/hour here in San Diego. I got that from UCSD medical center job listing when I checked last.