Interview tips for a full-time, night shift ER tech?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fxryker

Lifetime Donor
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I work 7pm to 7am, and sleep 9am to 4pm. Thankfully, for Geisinger's, I have five full days to readjust. I only have twenty-four hours for Jefferson's. Aside from getting as much sleep as possible the night of (and an energy drink or two), am I allowed to say this to ADCOMs during the interview?

"I'm sorry if I seem a little tired, I work full-time nights at so and so"

Or is that unprofessional? Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

I work 7pm to 7am, and sleep 9am to 4pm. Thankfully, for Geisinger's, I have five full days to readjust. I only have twenty-four hours for Jefferson's. Aside from getting as much sleep as possible the night of (and an energy drink or two), am I allowed to say this to ADCOMs during the interview?

"I'm sorry if I seem a little tired, I work full-time nights at so and so"

Or is that unprofessional? Thanks in advance!
You are certainly allowed to say anything you want during the interview. Making excuses for being a little tired is unlikely to help you.

The tip would be to arrange your schedule so that you don't feel a need to apologize for your interview performance. Either by scheduling the interviews after days off (weekends), or by taking days off (paid or unpaid) ahead of the interviews.

As you well know, medicine is a field in which a lot of people, including you, work nights. No one on the adcom is going to care why you seemed sluggish during your interview when comparing you to hundreds of other interviewees who were on their game. You need to make the necessary adjustments. They don't.

Reactions: 4 users
I’m not sure what you are asking . But I think you want to know if you can go to an II tired and not at your best. The answer is no. When there are hundreds of applicants for each seat, you have to be ready to shine. You are going to have to figure it out because this might not be the only time this will happen. .

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
You can also let the admissions staff know. If this is a remote experience, hopefully you'll be able to pace yourself. A lot of people are running on a little adrenaline.

Reactions: 1 user
I will be the dissenting voice here: I would understand if an applicant were tired because they work nights. Not everyone has the flexibility to take time off before each interview.

Reactions: 3 users