ERAS (common app.) changin the Fellowship Dynamic

Started by CCMD2005
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

CCMD2005

Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello,
This was the first year ERAS was used for Cards. How has the common app. changed the fellowship application process?
1. Did people from certain programs get "more" or "less" interviews than prior years?
2. Increased number of interviewees per program?
3. More inbreeding?
4. Using more "screens" for interviews?

Did ERAS make you apply to more, less, or the same number of programs?
Thanks,
CC
 
CCMD2005 said:
Hello,
This was the first year ERAS was used for Cards. How has the common app. changed the fellowship application process?
1. Did people from certain programs get "more" or "less" interviews than prior years?
2. Increased number of interviewees per program?
3. More inbreeding?
4. Using more "screens" for interviews?

Did ERAS make you apply to more, less, or the same number of programs?
Thanks,
CC

1. People from my program ended up getting more interviews compared with prior years. (e.g. I went on 14 interviews which in previous years was unheard of)
2. Programs interviewed the same number of candidates.
3. Less inbreeding likely...but wait until next Wednesday to know for sure
4. Northwestern got 1200 applicants, but sill interviewed the same number of candidates so I would think so, but I have no clue as to what they are. I would guess that research played a huge role in the process as during my interviews not a single person commented on my Step I score or medical grades (they did ask if I was AOA), but they wanted to talk about every detail of my past projects. Every interviewer asked about my research and people in the cardiology department at my home program. Most of my interviews were within a 500 mile radius of my school and one school said that they used that distance as a screen. Besides that, well, after the match ERAS will release statistical information and that will answer your question a little better.