ERAS help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kara

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I was wondering if on the "Application/Experience" portion of ERAS, how much should we write under "description." I was under the assumption that it should be short and succint like our CV, but the word limit is ginormous and was wondering if it might be better to be more thorough.

I am thinking about starting a research project in october. Will I be able to add that to my ERAS at that point, and will programs actually recieve that information?

Also, ERAS only gives you 3 choices (work, volunteer, or research). What would unpaid TA'ing and medical school government fall into?

Under experience, how much college stuff, aside from research, should we include (volunteer work, student organizations etc)?

thanks so much,

Kara

Members don't see this ad.

Along the same lines, how important is it to submit the application on Sept 1? Is it really detrimental to wait until the Tues after the holiday weekend? I know the question sounds silly but some people seem to suggest that submission on day 1 is a do or die...

I'm a fellow applicant, so take my input with a grain of salt.

Kara said:
I was wondering if on the "Application/Experience" portion of ERAS, how much should we write under "description." I was under the assumption that it should be short and succint like our CV, but the word limit is ginormous and was wondering if it might be better to be more thorough.

I've heard advice on other forums that brevity is best. One or two sentences per activity is sufficient as PDs do not want to wade through long-winded explanations.

I am thinking about starting a research project in october. Will I be able to add that to my ERAS at that point, and will programs actually recieve that information?

Again, based on advice I've heard elsewhere, programs update their applicant profiles once or twice a month. Therefore, updating your CAF will result in programs receiving this info. At the same time, I understand faxing the info to your top programs could not hurt, particularly if the info is important.

Also, ERAS only gives you 3 choices (work, volunteer, or research). What would unpaid TA'ing and medical school government fall into?

I've had similar experiences that I put under the volunteer heading.

Under experience, how much college stuff, aside from research, should we include (volunteer work, student organizations etc)?

I would like to know the answer to this as well. It's been 7 years since college so, in my case, I question the relevance of the information.

aspergillus said:
how important is it to submit the application on Sept 1? Is it really detrimental to wait until the Tues after the holiday weekend?

It is a good idea to submit early, but no need to get hung up on the Sept 1st date. I'm sure plenty of people will put in some quality time into their CAF over Labor Day weekend.

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't be hung up on the Sept 1 deadline. You will actually be able to see when a program downloads your application on the MyERAS program. Many wait very long (OCT to NOV) in some cases. This is not all programs however and a few ask for other items that are due relatively early e.g. college transcripts that take a while to get. I would say get the CV and PS part done as early as possible. Don't wait to submit until you have all of your stuff because that can take a while. Just upload LORs, pictures, etc. whenever you get it. Dean's list at most places don't come out until Nov. 1, I think. Lots of places wait on these before they look at applications seriously anyway. Better to upload Sept. 15 with a nice product than Sept. 1 with a poor product in my opinion. Just remember, you will get your invitations MONTHS after your IM, psych, even radiology friends. These places have few spots and usually 1-2 interview days with 10-20 per day. They take their time to see all the cards on the table and do not invite the first 260 Step that comes across their desk. They also aren't going to invite the 220 Step just because they uploaded at 00:00.01 Sept 1, 2005.

its very important to get stuff in eras as soon as possible. Dont fret over things you can't control, but submit what you can sooner rather than later. it can make a difference. As for deans letters- remember, these are just verbal reiterations of things like ranking and other such that one can get on the rest of the application. its just code. also, progrmas begin to peak at applications early. so as mentioned, DONT WAIT for everything.

Thanks guys. Also, I was confused about how detailed we are expected to be in describing our experiences on ERAS. Do Rad Onc PDs simpy prefer brief descriptions (1-2 sentences) similar to our CVs, or they want a little bit more (ie..what it is, what did you do, AND what did you gain from it; 3-4 lines)?

Is it inappropriate to use "I" in your descriptions?

Hey Steph,

What do you think I should do with my situation - I'm a reapplicant, but my school happens to be in dire straits right now, with no way to contact the administration (Tulane). I can possibly get my letter writers to directly submit to ERAS, and get my essay in, but my transcript and dean's letter are in limbo, indefinitely. I'm writing to ERAS, but I don't know how much individual programs will care. They obviously have enough great applicants to choose from; 1 less b/c of the storm won't matter. I wonder if I can have ERAS use last years stuff - it really hasn't changed, except for one grade ... this sucks - I can't imagine having to wait ANOTHER year... Not to complain too much - at least I have my home and health and life.

Simul

SimulD said:
Hey Steph,

What do you think I should do with my situation - I'm a reapplicant, but my school happens to be in dire straits right now, with no way to contact the administration (Tulane). I can possibly get my letter writers to directly submit to ERAS, and get my essay in, but my transcript and dean's letter are in limbo, indefinitely. I'm writing to ERAS, but I don't know how much individual programs will care. They obviously have enough great applicants to choose from; 1 less b/c of the storm won't matter. I wonder if I can have ERAS use last years stuff - it really hasn't changed, except for one grade ... this sucks - I can't imagine having to wait ANOTHER year... Not to complain too much - at least I have my home and health and life.

Simul
It is unfathomable to me what you folks are going through. I think you should ujst call programs and explain this situation to them. Ill ask at my place about what they can think of. Thinking of all you down south.

Gfunk6 said:
Again, based on advice I've heard elsewhere, programs update their applicant profiles once or twice a month. Therefore, updating your CAF will result in programs receiving this info. At the same time, I understand faxing the info to your top programs could not hurt, particularly if the info is important.

Once you certify your app, that's it, you cannot update it.... and you have to certify to send your app to the places...