ERAS LoR Designation Department Chair

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shockwavelithotripsy

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
For ERAS applying internal medicine, how much does it matter if we do not select the department chair option for any letters?

Is there a filter for program directors to see if the student has a chair letter or not?

Members don't see this ad.

For ERAS applying internal medicine, how much does it matter if we do not select the department chair option for any letters?

Is there a filter for program directors to see if the student has a chair letter or not?
Some programs state that they require a chair letter. Go to the program's website to find out.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

I'm also curious to know. As it happens, there's no such thing as chair of medicine where I study. I guess I'm just screwed at those programs.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm also curious to know. As it happens, there's no such thing as chair of medicine where I study. I guess I'm just screwed at those programs.

Sounds like you're an international student. So its basically not expected you'd have one. You're in a whole different category. But for US students especially US MD students, a lot of times its expected and looks fishy if its not there.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Sounds like you're an international student. So its basically not expected you'd have one. You're in a whole different category. But for US students especially US MD students, a lot of times its expected and looks fishy if its not there.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Sure, I understand that. However, some program websites state that they do not process incomplete applications. I wonder if they can filter for letters etc in ERAS and thus deem applications complete/incomplete prior to review. Maybe a PD or someone familiar with the process could chime in.

Sure, I understand that. However, some program websites state that they do not process incomplete applications. I wonder if they can filter for letters etc in ERAS and thus deem applications complete/incomplete prior to review. Maybe a PD or someone familiar with the process could chime in.

This is really my original question as well

Reactions: 1 user
Many programs won't look at incomplete applications. If you don't have a Chair, then label one letter as a chair's letter and get your application in.
The folks reviewing the applications aren't dumb, but the filters on ERAS can simply throw out your application in just the way you described. For this scenario, I think explaining it on the back end (e.g. "I don't have a chair so I labeled the most senior letter-writer I had as that position") is probably OK. Could even send a quick note to the residency coordinators to let them know just that.

Reactions: 1 user
Although it's possible to create a filter looking for applications without a chair letter, this is not something to worry about. Programs that are reviewing IMG applications know that they will not have chair letters, and don't expect one. This is simply not something to worry about.