MD co ‘20 Residency Panic Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
don't be hard on yourself you had tons of interviews and you matched

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 users
I’m so sorry ciestar. I know you had a long journey, but hopefully it works out for the best.

Number 1 match! I'm SHOOOOK right now.

• Love
Reactions: 10 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Matched into the middle half of my list; I don't even know where exactly I ranked this program (8, 9 or 10)!
Crying my eyes out right now!!! It goes even lower than my safe programs which I placed there to prevent surprise...
Don't know how to deal with this right now

I am with @ciestar here! Will be crying my eyes the rest of the day and weekend too...

• Sad
Reactions: 9 users
Congrats to all who matched! Good job to those who matched where they wanted. For those who are a bit disappointed, don't fret - it may suck but know that you still have 3-7 years of training to go and there are so many other factors such as work ethic that determine your success and trajectory. Focus on what you can control.
If you are still feeling down, please talk it out with friends or family and see a psychiatrist or therapist to seek help. Mental health is a big deal these days.

Reactions: 2 users
Matched into west coast :( was not expecting it at all. Was in shock for 10minutes straight

Reactions: 1 user
If you need to talk, the SDN M4 squad is here. Take care of yourself and find that contentedness at your own pace.

I’m sorry @ciestar you’re my all grown up MS4 that I’ve always admired on SDN. I hope with time and actually getting to your program you get less disappointed and start getting excited. Sending you love

When can I expect the programs to contact me about orientation and contract? Any idea?

Cannot believe I got my number 1 choice, im legit in tears!

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Got the congratulations email from my future PD, I’m a little concerned because out of the 4 of us I’m the only one not from the home institution. They’re not known for being a home institution only kind of place. I’m a little worried that I’ll be the outcast since everyone else went to school together.

I haven't received anything from my program still...should I be worried? Should I contact the program first?
I wouldn't worry about it. Of my classmates I've talked with, I'd say about half have received something from their program so far.

I was in the bathroom when I received my phone call. LOL.

Back to the party.

For those that matched and are happy with the outcome, congrats and enjoy

For those that matched and are disappointed/unhappy, I'll just say we see a good number of posts like this every year. In many cases, those posters return 6 months later telling us that matching "so low" on their rank list ended up being a godsend, and that "if they knew back then what they knew now, the program would have been at the top of their list".

• Love
Reactions: 25 users
For all those that got their top choice, congrats. For everyone who match low/lower on their list, chin up. I’m currently talking to friends who failed to match to any program who are stuck doing random prelim years and would love to trade with you in a heartbeat.

Reactions: 11 users
Matched to my #2 in psychiatry.

Was really hoping for my #1 but I'm beyond thrilled to be back in a place where I know I'll be happier.

I'm still over the moon and can't wait to get started.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Reactions: 6 users
Nah, mine just reached out within the last hour or so.

Matched my #3! Was hoping for my #1 or 2 but honestly can't complain with the program that is closest to home for me! West coast I'm coming back!

Reactions: 7 users
I got my #4. It was my top program at some point during the interview season so I'm very happy I ended up there anyway! Yes, a little bummed about missing my top 3 but I'm happy.

Reactions: 8 users
So are we gonna start a Residency panic thread or are we using this thread for the next few years?!

• Haha
Reactions: 13 users
Matched my #1 IM program at a small university program! I thought I stood no chance without having connections to the area, but something stuck!

Anyone else stalking hashtags on social media and the match list thread to try and Nancy Drew their way into figuring out their cohort that hasn’t been released yet? Me neither.

Reactions: 5 users
I went to look at a condo in my future town and I'm now going through the process of getting pre-approved for a physician loan. Everything in the town that's worth buying stays on the market for 12-24 hours so I have to get an early start on this if I'm going to move into something in May like I want. Yee-haw.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
How are y'all apartment/house shopping? Ideally I would've like to visit the city and check out places, but that's not exactly feasible right now.

How are y'all apartment/house shopping? Ideally I would've like to visit the city and check out places, but that's not exactly feasible right now.
I might just bite the bullet and head out there. Flights Denver->Atlanta are $45 each way right now, but I made sure they're fully refundable.

• Haha
I would love to get down to NYC right now but there's not exactly anyone down there who can show me apartments atm.

It looks like a lot of people are not offering in person home tours anymore but are offering video tours. Regardless before I sign a lease unless I know the exact area and have been to it, I want to at least see where it’s located in person and what the vibe is. I can handle some “hmm on video that room looked a bit bigger”. If we are going to be working pandemic hours I need to feel safe getting into my apartment at odd hours.

Reactions: 8 users
am from a low tier MD school
But you also got 260s on steps, all honors clerkships, and AOA. Any program that ranked you low or didn't rank you based solely on your tier of MD school would have been an idiot to do so.* You kicked a s s and earned it. Congratulations!

*Yes, I know some programs do that. They're stupid.

@Epilepsy365 @The_Bird @samac @sunshinefl @wysdoc

Can you guys remove my quotes from your post? My identity isn't as anon as I'd like it to be, apparently.

I just went and deleted all your quotes after match results were out. Just so everyone knows they didn’t do anything wrong, but we try to support users in maintaining anonymity if they want it.

Reactions: 12 users
I just went and deleted all your quotes after match results were out. Just so everyone knows they didn’t do anything wrong, but we try to support users in maintaining anonymity if they want it.

I appreciate it.

Starting to realize now that it’s all about to come to an end. Gonna miss my school and friends so much. I remember when I moved out to my school 4 years ago I was skeptical that I’d ever become as close to anyone here as other friends I’ve had and I was wrong. Super happy that I matched and that too in my home state, but I’m definitely going to be sad to see all of us split up and go our own ways. Anyone else feel the same way?

Starting to realize now that it’s all about to come to an end. Gonna miss my school and friends so much. I remember when I moved out to my school 4 years ago I was skeptical that I’d ever become as close to anyone here as other friends I’ve had and I was wrong. Super happy that I matched and that too in my home state, but I’m definitely going to be sad to see all of us split up and go our own ways. Anyone else feel the same way?

Nope, mostly hated it, glad to get out of dodge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 7 users
It looks like a lot of people are not offering in person home tours anymore but are offering video tours. Regardless before I sign a lease unless I know the exact area and have been to it, I want to at least see where it’s located in person and what the vibe is. I can handle some “hmm on video that room looked a bit bigger”. If we are going to be working pandemic hours I need to feel safe getting into my apartment at odd hours.

Hopefully this helps those looking for housing remotely... Found a place we are interested in and would sign up for it if possible but feel at a disadvantage being remote + they are hosting an open house today and tomorrow... what to do what to do...

Hopefully this helps those looking for housing remotely... Found a place we are interested in and would sign up for it if possible but feel at a disadvantage being remote + they are hosting an open house today and tomorrow... what to do what to do...

Don't worry dude. We're entering an inflection point for buyers and sellers. With the stock market crashing, buying offers will dwindle down drastically.

Only settle for prices that are equivalent to the 2014-2016 rate.

Reactions: 4 users
Welp, got preapproved for a loan put in a low ball offer the realtor wasn't comfortable with on the townhouse I liked and they accepted. Haha realtor. With the coronavirus stuff my closing date will be mid-May, so I'm happy to be getting this process started now. I think they just wanted out of it and were afraid of the market. The unfortunate thing is for some damn reason the mortgage rates went back up in the last 48 hours -.-

• Love
Reactions: 10 users
Welp, got preapproved for a loan put in a low ball offer the realtor wasn't comfortable with on the townhouse I liked and they accepted. Haha realtor. With the coronavirus stuff my closing date will be mid-May, so I'm happy to be getting this process started now. I think they just wanted out of it and were afraid of the market. The unfortunate thing is for some damn reason the mortgage rates went back up in the last 48 hours -.-
What'd they quote you at?

I still haven't been contacted by my program.

Wait?
Yeah I would wait. The contact I got on Friday was basically congratulations and a start date that said we would get some more info Monday. I’m sure plenty of programs will send out first contact Monday.

Reactions: 6 users
I saw that too, not sure why that is.