MD co ‘20 Residency Panic Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Nope, mostly hated it, glad to get out of dodge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm glad it wasn't just me.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Members don't see this ad.

Don't worry dude. We're entering an inflection point for buyers and sellers. With the stock market crashing, buying offers will dwindle down drastically.

Only settle for prices that are equivalent to the 2014-2016 rate.
We're moving to the Bay Area... so buying is out of question haha!

I saw that too, not sure why that is.

If you guys are looking to buy the home, there are two essential things that you need to do:

1) Shop around and work the banks against each other for the lowest rate
2) Don't settle for any price higher than the ones from 2014-2016

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Would it be reasonable to just pick an apartment online and just go with it. I know it’s in the general area I want (within a mile of the hospital). I would be fine with just a virtual tour. The town is safe so I’m not concerned about being in a bad neighborhood or anything. Or is it stupid to not try to check the place out? I’m worried the good apartments are gonna get taken up quick too.

Reactions: 1 users
Would it be reasonable to just pick an apartment online and just go with it. I know it’s in the general area I want (within a mile of the hospital). I would be fine with just a virtual tour. The town is safe so I’m not concerned about being in a bad neighborhood or anything. Or is it stupid to not try to check the place out? I’m worried the good apartments are gonna get taken up quick too.
I’m questioning doing this too.

I think you're fine doing that, we're doing the same thing. Only thing is to be mindful the place always looks bigger online than in real life.. besides that... depends how long you are willing to sign the lease unless the apartment has some major red flags you find out later.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users

Being in the military, I’ve done that probably 3-4 times with mixed results. It can work fine but helps if you have someone there to at least give the place a once over.

Being in the military, I’ve done that probably 3-4 times with mixed results. It can work fine but helps if you have someone there to at least give the place a once over.

I wonder under the circumstances if places would allow you to go month to month if signing sight unseen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m questioning doing this too.

I would not do it. There is a diff when it comes to interior design in order to max usable space.

In term of finding hip places to live that are family friendly and safe, try to opt for places with good public schools. That’s my number 1 criteria and has never disappointed my spouse.

Why not ask a few current residents questions like "where do the families live?" where do the single residents live? etc. to get an idea of what has already been vetted.

Starting to realize now that it’s all about to come to an end. Gonna miss my school and friends so much. I remember when I moved out to my school 4 years ago I was skeptical that I’d ever become as close to anyone here as other friends I’ve had and I was wrong. Super happy that I matched and that too in my home state, but I’m definitely going to be sad to see all of us split up and go our own ways. Anyone else feel the same way?

Same. We basically were all sent home indefinitely for the rest of the year rather abruptly yesterday. It's the end of an era, and most of us have either gone to our home/match states or will shortly in anticipation of travel restrictions. It's very bittersweet, as I feel like we were robbed of the supposed chill post match M4 months. We were robbed of the time we had to be able to relax and hang out with minimal responsibilities. All that being said, I am very grateful I matched and was able to return home safely.

Reactions: 4 users
My program finally contacted me :)

What's a good way to respond to the email without sounding too gunnery?

Members don't see this ad :)
My program finally contacted me :)

What's a good way to respond to the email without sounding too gunnery?

just say thank you for the welcome and that you look forward to working with your new co-interns and everyone of the program.

Reactions: 5 users
So I received a welcome email from my program on match night. I have since inquired about orientation and they said I should be be contacted by GME with that info. Any idea on the time frame that most programs send that out, and how long I should wait before contacting them(the GME department) directly? I dont want to be annoying, but I also dont want to wait too long if something is wrong.

So I received a welcome email from my program on match night. I have since inquired about orientation and they said I should be be contacted by GME with that info. Any idea on the time frame that most programs send that out, and how long I should wait before contacting them(the GME department) directly? I dont want to be annoying, but I also dont want to wait too long if something is wrong.

I wouldn't worry yet. It hasn't even been a full business day since Match day. I feel you though, I am antsy too. I want to know the orientation schedule, who is in my cohort, what my intern year will look like, if any changes have been made to the program, etc. But I think it is easy to forget that it is March, and orientation is at least 2-3 months away. We all want to hit the ground running now that we know where we are going but if GME is the one distributing info, they have to do that for every program at the institution and that probably takes some time.

I wouldn't worry yet. It hasn't even been a full business day since Match day. I feel you though, I am antsy too. I want to know the orientation schedule, who is in my cohort, what my intern year will look like, if any changes have been made to the program, etc. But I think it is easy to forget that it is March, and orientation is at least 2-3 months away. We all want to hit the ground running now that we know where we are going but if GME is the one distributing info, they have to do that for every program at the institution and that probably takes some time.

Also, you know. There's the little pandemic everyone is dealing with.

Same. We basically were all sent home indefinitely for the rest of the year rather abruptly yesterday. It's the end of an era, and most of us have either gone to our home/match states or will shortly in anticipation of travel restrictions. It's very bittersweet, as I feel like we were robbed of the supposed chill post match M4 months. We were robbed of the time we had to be able to relax and hang out with minimal responsibilities. All that being said, I am very grateful I matched and was able to return home safely.

Ah damn. Yeah, that's rough. I'm surprised people already moved out so quickly. My lease runs until June so even if graduation is cancelled (which it currently hasn't been) I don't anticipate moving out until after the graduation date anyway. I hope some of my friends are still around then lol

You haven’t even graduated yet. Your school needs to confirm you’ve completed your requirements. For right now just take a deep breath. Both your school and your program are incentivized to get you all set up.

Ah damn. Yeah, that's rough. I'm surprised people already moved out so quickly. My lease runs until June so even if graduation is cancelled (which it currently hasn't been) I don't anticipate moving out until after the graduation date anyway. I hope some of my friends are still around then lol
My apartment requires a 60 day notice. I tried contacting them saying that considering the covid situation and the fact that I actually switched to a month to month lease then maybe they would be okay with a 30 day notice so I can leave the end of April. The said no. I’m annoyed. When I called places about apartments today they had a couple available in May. June already has waiting lists. I’m annoyed. I’m gonna be recalling everyone asking for June apartments tomorrow. I’m just annoyed and stressed.

My apartment requires a 60 day notice. I tried contacting them saying that considering the covid situation and the fact that I actually switched to a month to month lease then maybe they would be okay with a 30 day notice so I can leave the end of April. The said no. I’m annoyed. When I called places about apartments today they had a couple available in May. June already has waiting lists. I’m annoyed. I’m gonna be recalling everyone asking for June apartments tomorrow. I’m just annoyed and stressed.
Check your state statutes and local ordinances. What they're requiring maybe illegal where you live

Check your state statutes and local ordinances. What they're requiring maybe illegal where you live
I’ll look into it. It’s funny because I looked at the notice to vacate paperwork I got from them and it says my lease expired in 2013 lol. (They only have the original lease)
They bought out this apartment building recently so it’s confusing. I really think I have a decent argument here. But I also don’t want them to hate me because all the apartment applications say to list your last landlord so I don’t want them to be too disgruntled. But damn like they’re being kinda heartless in a pandemic situation.

I’ll look into it. It’s funny because I looked at the notice to vacate paperwork I got from them and it says my lease expired in 2013 lol. (They only have the original lease)
They bought out this apartment building recently so it’s confusing. I really think I have a decent argument here. But I also don’t want them to hate me because all the apartment applications say to list your last landlord so I don’t want them to be too disgruntled. But damn like they’re being kinda heartless in a pandemic situation.

They probably just want to make sure they have all the incoming funds they can get as they’re about to lose your rent. The pandemic is hurting everyone.

Or they’re dicks.

My chief just emailed us to ask what weeks I want to take my vacation. Guess I'm going to shoot for 2 random weeks?

My chief just emailed us to ask what weeks I want to take my vacation. Guess I'm going to shoot for 2 random weeks?

This is the email I'm looking for lmao

I got my vacation request paperwork yesterday too but with the whole situation going on idk if I should just push for vacation closer to next year to minimize the chances of travel plans getting cancelled.. I get two 2-week blocks for vacation per year plus either Christmas or New Year's off but it's way too early to know what's going to be a safe time to start traveling again.

On the plus side I signed my contract and got my NPI number THINGS ARE GETTING REAL GUYS :nailbiting:

Got my vacation request paperwork yesterday as well.

One full week either Christmas or New Year, and then 1 week + 2 week vacation blocks at some point next year.

I got my vacation request paperwork yesterday too but with the whole situation going on idk if I should just push for vacation closer to next year to minimize the chances of travel plans getting cancelled.. I get two 2-week blocks for vacation per year plus either Christmas or New Year's off but it's way too early to know what's going to be a safe time to start traveling again.

On the plus side I signed my contract and got my NPI number THINGS ARE GETTING REAL GUYS :nailbiting:

Yeah, I would push it to next year.

Things won't calm down until 2021.

Good points... I was wondering if I should reach out for vacation days but is it customary for programs to do it?

Also... Commencement just got pushed to maybe the Fall.... faaaaaaantastic.

Good points... I was wondering if I should reach out for vacation days but is it customary for programs to do it?

At that point I would tell them thanks but no thanks. I would be well moved on.

Yeah if my school tries that I'm going to laugh at them and say gimmie my diploma.

Reactions: 2 users
At that point I would tell them thanks but no thanks. I would be well moved on.

Yeah it'll be a quick trip cross country and then back to work. We'll see when they schedule it.

Yeah if my school tries that I'm going to laugh at them and say gimmie my diploma.

We'll all still get it... just no party :(

Yeah it'll be a quick trip cross country and then back to work. We'll see when they schedule it.

"This ain't no party. This ain't no match day. This ain't no foolin' around." - David Byrne, MD

I'm bummed about not sharing graduation with my parents and grandparents. They were so excited to see me get the "funny hood". My school actually has commencement as a graduation requirement so I'm interested to see how they navigate that one.

My school actually has commencement as a graduation requirement so I'm interested to see how they navigate that one.

Okay that's a little insane frankly.

Everyone says Feb is one of the most depressing months in internship. Maybe a couple weeks off then will help.
I wonder why that is. Perhaps it has something to do with the holidays being over and the trudge toward the end of the academic year.

I wonder why that is. Perhaps it has something to do with the holidays being over and the trudge toward the end of the academic year.

Not sure, but I've seen it repeated a LOT. Possibly because the honeymoon phase has worn off and the holidays are over. Plus in many parts of the country, the weather sucks and you aren't seeing the sun most days.

I'm bummed about not sharing graduation with my parents and grandparents. They were so excited to see me get the "funny hood". My school actually has commencement as a graduation requirement so I'm interested to see how they navigate that one.
That might change due to the situation. My son's med school had mandatory attendance to Match Day but that rapidly changed to "students only" and then to "cancelled completely".

That might change due to the situation. My son's med school had mandatory attendance to Match Day but that rapidly changed to "students only" and then to "cancelled completely".
Wtf with mandatory match day?

why do DO schools do that?

So how are people going about moving their stuff. Like hiring moving companies? Trying to do it yourself? How has covid impacted the moving process/If any.

So how are people going about moving their stuff. Like hiring moving companies? Trying to do it yourself? How has covid impacted the moving process/If any.
I haven't even begun to think about it. I certainly don't have enough money to hire a moving company. However, I also don't have enough money to just get a UHaul. I think I'm going to end up giving away a lot of the big items that are ungainly to move and just bringing some of the smaller stuff.

I'm moving from a high COL area to a much lower COL area and I'm flirting with the idea of buying a house because they're cheap. I know that it's theoretically the better financial move on paper but in practice I'm sure there's much more headache in the short term. Since residency is stressful at baseline, I suppose I want to minimize outside stressors to the greatest extent possible and dealing with mortgages, insurance, doing all the repairs myself, etc. might be excessive. That said, how cool would it be to own my own house? I've always dreamed of that. I think about all the money I've spent on rent in my life and how I'm NEVER getting it back. And I've always wanted to have my own property with a lawn and a house that I can power with solar panels. Plus, we're going to be on a two-resident salary which is vastly more money than I've ever had in my life. But I digress, maybe I should just rent and make my life easier in the short term, and dare to dream when I'm an attending.

I haven't even begun to think about it. I certainly don't have enough money to hire a moving company. However, I also don't have enough money to just get a UHaul. I think I'm going to end up giving away a lot of the big items that are ungainly to move and just bringing some of the smaller stuff.
Yeah I’ve been thinking about doing that as well. But I’m also not excited about the cost of furnishing a new apartment. On a separate note have you guys been surprised about prices of apartments? Have you been able to set a reasonable budget.

Yeah I’ve been thinking about doing that as well. But I’m also not excited about the cost of furnishing a new apartment. On a separate note have you guys been surprised about prices of apartments? Have you been able to set a reasonable budget.
Oh yeah, it's going to be much more affordable. I remember when I was in high school I took those finance classes where they told me that your rent/mortgage should be no more than "1/3" of your monthly budget. But ever since college that has just simply not been possible and due to a combination of having living on loans/part-time jobs and living in a high COL region I've probably been spending more like 1/2+ of my money on. But I've found places online that are as much as I'm paying now or less but dramatically more space and quality. And the best part is we'll actually have tons of money left over to put in savings.

I'm moving from a high COL area to a much lower COL area and I'm flirting with the idea of buying a house because they're cheap. I know that it's theoretically the better financial move on paper but in practice I'm sure there's much more headache in the short term. Since residency is stressful at baseline, I suppose I want to minimize outside stressors to the greatest extent possible and dealing with mortgages, insurance, doing all the repairs myself, etc. might be excessive. That said, how cool would it be to own my own house? I've always dreamed of that. I think about all the money I've spent on rent in my life and how I'm NEVER getting it back. And I've always wanted to have my own property with a lawn and a house that I can power with solar panels. Plus, we're going to be on a two-resident salary which is vastly more money than I've ever had in my life. But I digress, maybe I should just rent and make my life easier in the short term, and dare to dream when I'm an attending.
Rent for a year while scoping out houses in your area, you'll have a better idea what neighborhood you want.

Reactions: 7 users