MD co ‘20 Residency Panic Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Who here owns scrubs and can recommend any?
I have a 24 hour call my first day and I sure af will have comfy stuff even if scrubs are the norm at the hospital right now

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I have a 24 hour call my first day and I sure af will have comfy stuff even if scrubs are the norm at the hospital right now
One of my friends who is a NICU nurse says she only buys Figs and Koi because they have the best quality and functionality. I know one student who likes Jaanuu, another who likes Greys Anatomy. By and large most med students seem to have Figs.

I bought one pair of Wonderwink scrubs for anatomy lab because they were on sale and I would not recommend. Sizing was way off and fabric was not comfortable. So I can eliminate one brand for you!

Reactions: 1 users
Yeah ive always seen Figs recommended, but for the price, im afraid to pull the trigger in case they dont fit.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I was wondering the same thing. Part of me is so excited to start and another part is going to sorely miss my current routine of waking up whenever, having infinite time to read, do yoga, go on walks, cook, complete tasks, talk to family/friends, spend time with my partner, and re-binge Star Trek.
To be honest I could use another month with no paperwork, no emails, no worrying about moving (And with some extra money in my bank account lol). I really feel like being available all the time by email kinda stresses me out, like you could be spending time with your family then bam someone emails you on a Sunday with some new chore. I guess I’m just ranting about modern technology at this point lol.

Reactions: 7 users

Koi Lite - loose, baggier, lighter fabric, but really cool silicone detailing on the zippers (yes this matters LOL) and I have some really neat gradient tops of theirs that I love
Grey’s Anatomy - Relatively slimmer fit, I mean like if you have a runner’s build these are great; I usually size up if I buy these
NRG by Barco - Same company as Grey’s, but made for people that have actual curves and a larger chest than a B cup (these are my favorites)
Med Couture - my second favorite fit, nice light slick fabric and fits well
Barco One - more slick, lightweight fabric
Cherokee infinity - not as good a fit (personally), somewhat looser and baggier, but very stretchy and it’s the nice slick fabric
Cherokee (regular) - I don’t remember being impressed. I don’t own them after trying them on
Wonderwink - I keep seeing nice patterns and I want to like these, but I don’t
HH360 - Also slick fabric, very fitted/flattering
HH purple label yoga - pretty much same as above
Heartsoul - also slick and fitted
UA scrubs - stiff, don’t move with you, suck

Haven’t tried Figs yet; keep meaning to, but I just don’t need any more scrubs.

If you run cold, Grey’s and NRG are the warmest of the ones above because it’s regular fabric. The really slick stuff (all the other brands), is usually easier to get stains out of if something not so savory happens, so it just depends on what you want out of the fabric.

And the cost thing? If you want nice scrubs you’re going to have to pay for them IMO. Cheap scrubs fit and feel like cheap scrubs, unfortunately. I’ve never found a cheap set I was satisfied with.

And pro tip - unless you’re really organized, buy only ONE of each brand top/bottom. Because honestly, when you put something through the wash a million times, they will fade. If you still want to look put together, make sure you always wash them at the same time, so always wear them together. Easier to do if you don’t mix sets.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
I personally wear either Cherokee Infinity, which as mentioned previously are looser but have lots of pockets, or Figs. Figs are pricey though but they are soft and fit well. Less pockets, depending on the style you get.

I personally wear either Cherokee Infinity, which as mentioned previously are looser but have lots of pockets, or Figs. Figs are pricey though but they are soft and fit well. Less pockets, depending on the style you get.
Are Figs true to size?

Koi Lite - loose, baggier, lighter fabric, but really cool silicone detailing on the zippers (yes this matters LOL) and I have some really neat gradient tops of theirs that I love
Grey’s Anatomy - Relatively slimmer fit, I mean like if you have a runner’s build these are great; I usually size up if I buy these
NRG by Barco - Same company as Grey’s, but made for people that have actual curves and a larger chest than a B cup (these are my favorites)
Med Couture - my second favorite fit, nice light slick fabric and fits well
Barco One - more slick, lightweight fabric
Cherokee infinity - not as good a fit (personally), somewhat looser and baggier, but very stretchy and it’s the nice slick fabric
Cherokee (regular) - I don’t remember being impressed. I don’t own them after trying them on
Wonderwink - I keep seeing nice patterns and I want to like these, but I don’t
HH360 - Also slick fabric, very fitted/flattering
HH purple label yoga - pretty much same as above
Heartsoul - also slick and fitted
UA scrubs - stiff, don’t move with you, suck

Haven’t tried Figs yet; keep meaning to, but I just don’t need any more scrubs.

If you run cold, Grey’s and NRG are the warmest of the ones above because it’s regular fabric. The really slick stuff (all the other brands), is usually easier to get stains out of if something not so savory happens, so it just depends on what you want out of the fabric.

And the cost thing? If you want nice scrubs you’re going to have to pay for them IMO. Cheap scrubs fit and feel like cheap scrubs, unfortunately. I’ve never found a cheap set I was satisfied with.

And pro tip - unless you’re really organized, buy only ONE of each brand top/bottom. Because honestly, when you put something through the wash a million times, they will fade. If you still want to look put together, make sure you always wash them at the same time, so always wear them together. Easier to do if you don’t mix sets.
You are awesome. Thank you!

Are Figs true to size?

I found that they were. Of course they don't really mention width in terms of pant legs. For example, according to the size chart for men's pants, I would be a small (which is funny because I'm 6' tall) since I have a 32" waist and 32" inseam. I could barely squeeze my legs into them. I ended up returning them and getting a medium despite the waist being larger and they ended up fitting perfectly.

Are Figs true to size?

A friend who exclusively wears them says yes. She is 5’3” and wears an xs in hospital scrubs but still finds them too big and gets xxs in figs.

I wear an xs top and s bottom in hospital scrubs and I was planning to get an all “s” set from Figs.

A friend who exclusively wears them says yes. She is 5’3” and wears an xs in hospital scrubs but still finds them too big and gets xxs in figs.

I wear an xs top and s bottom in hospital scrubs and I was planning to get an all “s” set from Figs.
I was an XS back when i was on surgery.. but that was at least 15 lbs ago. So im conflicted as i do not truly know what size i actually am right now

I was an XS back when i was on surgery.. but that was at least 15 lbs ago. So im conflicted as i do not truly know what size i actually am right now

Personally I would rather size up than size down. Worst case they are a little loose and I can wear them for night float when what I look like matters less and I want to maximize comfort. They have elastic and a drawstring and I tuck my scrubs in anyway so I feel like...how bad could it be?

Personally I would rather size up than size down. Worst case they are a little loose and I can wear them for night float when what I look like matters less and I want to maximize comfort. They have elastic and a drawstring and I tuck my scrubs in anyway so I feel like...how bad could it be?
Yeah that’s where Im leaning tbh

My program doesn’t have night float, but the 24 hour call they’ll be great for either way

Members don't see this ad :)
So the car registration form for my new state is so confusing... I’m tired of paperwork.

Reactions: 4 users
So the car registration form for my new state is so confusing... I’m tired of paperwork.

Just waited 2 hours and then spent an hour getting my car registered at the DMV. Then spent another hour trying to find an inspection place for the mandatory state inspection that had an appointment available during the required timeframe (10 days) that also didn't interfere with my orientation schedule. I'm glad I moved when I did because I genuinely can't imagine doing all this with less time.

Just waited 2 hours and then spent an hour getting my car registered at the DMV. Then spent another hour trying to find an inspection place for the mandatory state inspection that had an appointment available during the required timeframe (10 days) that also didn't interfere with my orientation schedule. I'm glad I moved when I did because I genuinely can't imagine doing all this with less time.
So for me I’m actually not the owner of the car which I thought meant I didn’t need to register it in the new state (stupid I know). Now apparently it takes 4-6 weeks to switch the title of the car. Or I have to fill out the registration form kinda weirdly idk. I’m over it.

So for me I’m actually not the owner of the car which I thought meant I didn’t need to register it in the new state (stupid I know). Now apparently it takes 4-6 weeks to switch the title of the car. Or I have to fill out the registration form kinda weirdly idk. I’m over it.
I had the same issue with not being the owner. We ended up doing a power of attorney form that allowed me to sign for decisions involving the title which allowed me to register it. It does have to be notarized but once you have that it’s easy. You don’t have to be present for that part, just the owner.

I had the same issue with not being the owner. We ended up doing a power of attorney form that allowed me to sign for decisions involving the title which allowed me to register it. It does have to be notarized but once you have that it’s easy. You don’t have to be present for that part, just the owner.
Okay so I’ve called 7 different dmvs in two states and I think I finally figured it out lol. I guess you can take a title transfer from one state to the dmv of the other state. you don’t have to wait for a new title to be issued by the original state. And they’ll register your car in the new state.

I hate doing it yearly. My dad renewed the registration on my car on my behalf lol

Spent about $300 on scrubs today so hopefully i decide what i like and dont like lol

Okay so I’ve called 7 different dmvs in two states and I think I finally figured it out lol. I guess you can take a title transfer from one state to the dmv of the other state. you don’t have to wait for a new title to be issued by the original state. And they’ll register your car in the new state.
Yes! That’s what I did today. Apparently (thankfully) they can do the title transfer and registration in one fell swoop.

I hate doing it yearly. My dad renewed the registration on my car on my behalf lol
I signed up for the two year registration this time bc why would I subject myself to more of this than I have to. I feel dumb but I never knew this was an option??

Yes! That’s what I did today. Apparently (thankfully) they can do the title transfer and registration in one fell swoop.

I signed up for the two year registration this time bc why would I subject myself to more of this than I have to. I feel dumb but I never knew this was an option??

It’s not always an option. Depends on the state.

PA only recently made two year registrations a thing over the past few years. So before that, i had to renew it yearly. Got the two year two years ago... but i wasnt planning on keeping this car but the registration expired so i had to keep it legal lol

You guys I’m studying for my written drivers test. I can’t fail this test after having a license for 11 years lol.

• Wow
If you’re changing your license to CA? That’s rough. I havent done a written driver’s test since my permit lol
Thanks, I hate it.

It’s really easy. I think it must be one specific to people who are just changing to CA because it was only like 20 questions and was insanely easy.

It’s really easy. I think it must be one specific to people who are just changing to CA because it was only like 20 questions and was insanely easy.
I just remember almost failing my original one (you could miss up to four questions and I missed four). 10 years and no accidents or traffic violations though!

I'm from CA and have a CA license, but got my car when I was in the Midwest. I matched back in CA and have shipped my car over. Does that man I just have to switch my registration from the Midwest state to CA?

I'm from CA and have a CA license, but got my car when I was in the Midwest. I matched back in CA and have shipped my car over. Does that man I just have to switch my registration from the Midwest state to CA?
It definitely makes sense to.

Yes. They will charge you a nice late fee if you don’t. Or at least that’s how it was last time I PCSed there. Only friggin state I’ve been stationed in that didn’t have a military exemption for registration.

Different states have different laws. The one I matched to gave me 20 days to register my car there. The California DMV webpage should be able to guide you through it!

I have a couple pairs that ended up finding their way to my apartment from the scrub machine at my hospital. They have all the comfort of feeling like your body is covered in several pieces of paper taped together

• Haha
I have a couple pairs that ended up finding their way to my apartment from the scrub machine at my hospital. They have all the comfort of feeling like your body is covered in several pieces of paper taped together
Yeah i wasnt huge on the hospital scrubs. Glad i returned them all since they tracked if you had them or not...

I did find my nursing school scrubs though lolol

One of my co-interns just shared this. I’m not affiliated in any way other than I will probably join. Looks pretty neat and could be an interesting way to develop mindfulness with respect to biometric data on a personal level. Intern Health Study Mobile App

They had me until the DNA thing lol
I know. Torn because I like privacy. But I am also really passionate about psych’s search for bio markers and hope to be on the other side of a psych genetics study one day. So part of me feels like I can pay it forward this way?

PS can we get a scrubs review when your orders come?? They can be surgery style notes if you are busy. “H&P: baggy, itchy. Plan: dispo - return to store.”

I know. Torn because I like privacy. But I am also really passionate about psych’s search for bio markers and hope to be on the other side of a psych genetics study one day. So part of me feels like I can pay it forward this way?

PS can we get a scrubs review when your orders come?? They can be surgery style notes if you are busy. “H&P: baggy, itchy. Plan: dispo - return to store.”
Absolutely!

i think i have five brands coming lol

I think if they have a really solid privacy guarantee then I would consider it. I know that the ancestry sites have given dna info to the government. It freaks me out to know that they can give those results away.

I did it guys. Got to the DMV at 10am finished at 2:30. Passed my test!
Hopefully next week I’ll deal with the registration.

Last edited:
I did it guys. Got to the DMV at 10am finished at 2:30. Passed my test!
Hopefully next week I’ll deal with the registration.

You can't be in the North East cause i need to renew my license and they aren't open lol luckily expiration dates have been extended

You can't be in the North East cause i need to renew my license and they aren't open lol luckily expiration dates have been extended
No I’m in the Midwest lol. They had a door code to scan on your phone. Then they tell you how many people are ahead of you and that you should wait in your car or a safe place. And masks are mandatory. I actually went home to wait. All and all not a bad system.

Reactions: 5 users
No I’m in the Midwest lol. They had a door code to scan on your phone. Then they tell you how many people are ahead of you and that you should wait in your car or a safe place. And masks are mandatory. I actually went home to wait. All and all not a bad system.

I hate the DMV so much. That system they have is actually awesome

So I have a question for you guys. Do you tip a maintenance man that will be doing furniture assembly for you at an agreed price per hour? If so how much.

So I have a question for you guys. Do you tip a maintenance man that will be doing furniture assembly for you at an agreed price per hour? If so how much.
My baseline for all tips is ~20%.

• Wow