ERAS- PLEASE HELP what needs to be in and when

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nortomaso

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm posting this in the psych forum because the importance of getting in apps early or late may differ according to specialty.

I am very confused by the whole ERAS process. I am still waiting for several LOR's to come in plus my dean's letter (Nov 1). Is it possible (and a good idea) to go ahead and apply to programs now with what I have? Do I have to designate my letter writers for each program when I apply or can I wait until the letters are actually uploaded (i.e. don't count your chickens before they hatch). And until when will I be able to revise my CV and PS?

Thanks in advance for your advice regarding this stressful and confusing process.

Members don't see this ad.

I am taking step 2 this thursday and plan to submit eras when my scores return (hopefully by mid october) mostly because of a lack luster step 1 score. i have most other parts of ERAS completed (CAF, PS, etc.) with just a few more revisions. As for LORs, I have 3 and will have another hopefully by mid-october.

My question is: is mid october too late to submit ERAS to get competetive interview spots? How do residency programs decide to offer interviews - limited number first come first serve or competitively? What are the advantages of submitting early rather than later?

Thanks for n e help! :eek: :D

nortomaso said:
I'm posting this in the psych forum because the importance of getting in apps early or late may differ according to specialty.

I am very confused by the whole ERAS process. I am still waiting for several LOR's to come in plus my dean's letter (Nov 1). Is it possible (and a good idea) to go ahead and apply to programs now with what I have? Do I have to designate my letter writers for each program when I apply or can I wait until the letters are actually uploaded (i.e. don't count your chickens before they hatch). And until when will I be able to revise my CV and PS?

Thanks in advance for your advice regarding this stressful and confusing process.

a few answers:
-you can apply to programs even without actaully having LORs acutually scanned into ERAs. when you apply to programs, you will designate whihc LORs you want for whihc programs.
-once you certify your application, you will not be able to revise your CV.
-i beleive you will be able to revise your CV as long as a program has not already downloaded it. (The Personal statement is also like the LORs, if you have multiple Personal statements, you can indicate which one you want to go to which program.

good luck with your applications.
:)

Members don't see this ad :)
mnms said:
I am taking step 2 this thursday and plan to submit eras when my scores return (hopefully by mid october) mostly because of a lack luster step 1 score. i have most other parts of ERAS completed (CAF, PS, etc.) with just a few more revisions. As for LORs, I have 3 and will have another hopefully by mid-october.

My question is: is mid october too late to submit ERAS to get competetive interview spots? How do residency programs decide to offer interviews - limited number first come first serve or competitively? What are the advantages of submitting early rather than later?

Thanks for n e help! :eek: :D

I didn't send my application out officially until I had my dean's letter, since I knew it would be strong. This was the beginning of October. I had many competitive interview offers.

The advantage to submitting early is that many programs are still signing out FMG's (there was talk that this would stop, however). If this still occurs, then as they sign out (pre-match) applicants, you are applying to less open slots.

I originally tried to take advantage of the primacy and recency effect in interviewing...either going in the beginning to "set the bar," or last so that "they remembered me well." I really didn't see a difference in responses to me though. I really don't think it matters too much. I do advise to stay away from Christmas and New Year's interviews, however, since many faculty are on vacation - some of which will be reluctant to accept a "fill-in's" interview of you and your subsequent interview score as their own.

apply early if you are ready. there are programs that fill up fast. but don't sweat it too much if you are not too early. nov 1st is fine for most places. just make sure you get your part all done as soon as you have time. then you can send it out before it is complete if you need or want to. i remember cornell had an october deadline, you should check at the programs you like just to make sure you are within their time frame.
(good to run this by the person at your school who does all the scanning/sending etc and see if they have more info for you)