ERAS Questions on Experience and Awards

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SockMonkeyMD

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
1. For experiences, I understand that clubs and interest groups are listed under "Volunteer Experience." But should absolutely every interest group and club be listed? I have seen previously something about only put it if you can talk about it for 5 minutes, but I can talk about anything for 5 minutes so not too helpful. I have debated on this with other classmates and thought to ask those at other medical programs. Some say put absolutely everything on ERAS and only "big stuff" on CV. I personally thought opposite because a line on the CV is not too distracting but a whole entry on ERAS feels like it would distract from "bigger" entries. Also heard if it is on your CV then it needs to also be on ERAS. Maybe should I combine interest groups not related to chosen field into one entry? Thoughts?

2. What is the general opinion on minor medical school awards? I have one normal award and a couple little things, such as answering a Case of the Month from an interest group correctly and winning an online database competition from the medical school library. Are the little things too silly to include?

3. Lastly, what are thoughts on "controversial" clubs like religious clubs and/or clubs that can be interpreted as political such as a group focusued on LGBTQ medical needs? Include or avoid?

Members don't see this ad.

1. List the things that are important to you. List them if you want to talk about them for 5 minutes. Your ERAS application basically is your CV, for now. Less is more -- if you list too much, I'll miss the parts that are important to you.

2. Same advice. I'd only include it if it's really significant to you. Case of the Month sounds like a no. The database competition -- if that's something you see yourself interested in the future, then sure. Else, not. I happen to be interested in database design and optimization. List that on your application and interview with me, and I'll ask you about your thoughts about SQL vs NoSQL DB deployments. If you're not excited about discussing that, leave it off.

3. Same advice. If these causes are important to you, then list them. Might you rub someone the wrong way? Sure, but probably better to know that before you match there and are miserable. Some causes will be more problematic than others, although that might also vary by geography and program type.

1. List the things that are important to you. List them if you want to talk about them for 5 minutes. Your ERAS application basically is your CV, for now. Less is more -- if you list too much, I'll miss the parts that are important to you.

2. Same advice. I'd only include it if it's really significant to you. Case of the Month sounds like a no. The database competition -- if that's something you see yourself interested in the future, then sure. Else, not. I happen to be interested in database design and optimization. List that on your application and interview with me, and I'll ask you about your thoughts about SQL vs NoSQL DB deployments. If you're not excited about discussing that, leave it off.

3. Same advice. If these causes are important to you, then list them. Might you rub someone the wrong way? Sure, but probably better to know that before you match there and are miserable. Some causes will be more problematic than others, although that might also vary by geography and program type.

This puts things into a better perspective for me. Thank you so much for your help!