ERAS Questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

obbyjobby

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is for the other seniors preparing their ERAS applications (so much fun!):

1. Do ya'll know if we can include submitted publications under the publications section?

2. How important are extracurricular activity type things? I was super-involved in med school and ran a ton of events. Is it annoying to list these or should I put them down and try to keep the descriptions short and sweet?

3. My app is ready to go! Unfortch, none of my letters are in yet. I'm thinking they're going to take some time. Should I go ahead and submit, or wait?

If anyone has any input, I'd really appreciate it! Good luck to the rest of ya'll out there applying :)

P.S. Does anyone have any inside info on Yale's program? It's the only one that requires a letter from Dept of Medicine, and I'm trying to decide if it's worth it to pursue one.

Members don't see this ad.

My opinion is this:

1) You can include submitted publications. At the end of the reference for your publication just type Submitted to XXXXX.

2) I feel that extracurricular activities are good to list. I don't think this should be the main focus of your application. Your academic grades, board scores, LOR's, etc will mainly get you the interview. The extracurricular activities are a great topic during interviews especially when you may have something in common with the interviewer. That being said, lengthy descriptions can distract an interviewer. The application, scores, LOR's are long enough as is.

3) Submit, Submit, Submit. Programs are already downloading and sorting applications. Here at the University of Kentucky, we've already started the process. We will be offerring interviews before too long. We realize that LOR's and Dean's letters may come in later, it's OK. We like to fill the interview dates ASAP. It is also better for you to submit early. You will have greater flexibility in scheduling your interview dates if you get some early invites.

Good luck

My opinion is this:
3) Submit, Submit, Submit. Programs are already downloading and sorting applications. Here at the University of Kentucky, we've already started the process. We will be offerring interviews before too long. We realize that LOR's and Dean's letters may come in later, it's OK. We like to fill the interview dates ASAP. It is also better for you to submit early. You will have greater flexibility in scheduling your interview dates if you get some early invites.

yeah...submit, submit, submit, submit now!!!! i got an interview invite 2 hours after i submitted my eras last friday. i am booking a flight as i type.