ERAS Withdrawing a LOR?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DJ2018

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wondering if I could get some insight on this situation. I submitted my application hastily to some programs without paying enough attention and I was an idiot and accidentally selected my chairman's letter to programs that only require 3 LOR's. I was just wondering if there was anyway that I could withdraw a letter I already sent. If possible, I would like to withdraw my chairman's letter and would obviously rather send 3 other LOR's since these will be stronger rather than my chairman's letter being 1/3 letters.

If it is not possible to withdraw my chiarman's LOR, should I just go ahead and send my 3 other letters in addition to the chairman's letter if residencies only require 3 LOR's, or will this look bad that I didn't "follow the instructions" on each residency's website because I sent 4 total letters?

Should I withdraw my applications that I sent to these programs, and just resubmit my applications to these same programs with the correctly selected LOR's? Would this look bad?

Appreciate if anyone has any opinions or insight. Feel like bashing my head against the wall now. Thanks for the help in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

My understanding is that sending letters to programs cannot be undone. I guess you could simply withdraw from the schools, re-send you app, and then re-assign the correct letters. Of course you would have to re-pay the fees...what a waste of cash!

You cannot withdraw letters. If you search back far enough in SDN lore, there was a time where this was possible. But not any more.

If you withdraw your application and reapply, you "reinstate" the same application. It's free (I think), but no changes in your letters.

I think this trope that "programs require 3 letters and if you send 4 you'll be dinged for not following the rules" is SDN induced insanity. I'm still waiting for someone to show me a link to a program's website that states they want no more than 3 LOR's. I'm sure such a programs exists, somewhere, but it's rare. When a program says they want 3 letters, they mean at least 3. I think it's unlikely that any program will "ding" you for 4.

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you guys for the responses!

I think this trope that "programs require 3 letters and if you send 4 you'll be dinged for not following the rules" is SDN induced insanity. I'm still waiting for someone to show me a link to a program's website that states they want no more than 3 LOR's. I'm sure such a programs exists, somewhere, but it's rare. When a program says they want 3 letters, they mean at least 3. I think it's unlikely that any program will "ding" you for 4.

That is a huge sigh of relief! I figured it wasn't a big deal, but just hated the thought of getting my application thrown out for something as simple as # of letters. Thanks!!