ERAS - Do I mark my PD/Vice Chair this LOR as a Chair?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

PathNeuroIMorFM

Full Member
2+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Very confused on ERAS LOR wording. I am getting letters from my path PDs, who are both vice chairs in their respective departments. This is not a core clerkship.

Do I mark them as chairs or not?

1722867821101.png
 
You are correct that the question is poorly worded / defined. Mostly it doesn't matter. In some fields (such as IM), it's traditional for applicants to have a "Chair" letter. Which is almost never actually written by the chair, but instead is a summary letter from the Department about all of your experiences there -- usually your clerkship, SubI, and ICU or electives. It's like a mini-MSPE. Often completely useless if you're coming from a DO school, or if an IMG. It hopnestly doesn't matter what you pick, people will just review all of your letters.