Ergonomic or Powered syringe for hand fatigue

Started by Creflo
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Creflo

time to eat
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi everyone — I’m a podiatrist dealing with significant hand fatigue from years of high-volume procedures, and I’m looking for ways to reduce thumb force during injections. Dentistry seems far ahead of medicine in ergonomic injector design, so I’m hoping to learn from your experience.

I give a large number of injections daily and am interested in ergonomic or powered syringe systems. Many of the dental solutions I’ve found rely on prefilled carpules. In medical practice we typically draw up our own medications, so I’m trying to understand whether there are cartridge-compatible systems, refillable options, or alternative injector designs that could work safely in a non-dental setting.

Local compounding pharmacies I contacted said they don’t fill carpules, so I may be looking at this from the wrong angle. I’d appreciate any suggestions on ergonomic injection devices, workflow adaptations, or products you’ve seen help reduce hand strain in high-volume clinics.

Thanks in advance — any direction is appreciated.
 
  • Like
Reactions: 702
I am not aware of any product that allows a form of automatic injection technique not reliant on manual digit pressure. There is one aimed for pediatric anaesthesia, but it is very slow and a therefore a pain (figuratively) to use. It's called The Wand. Most dental local anaesthetics are prefilled carpules that are manually loaded into a hand-held syringe and then injected by thumb force.

However, some simple measures which may aid you are:
- learn to inject with your non-dominant hand and alternate each patient, effectively halving the number of injections you perform daily
- if each patient receives several doses or locations of injections, use larger carpules/syringes so as to reduce number of mechanical movements from having to reload (ie use a 20 mL syringe instead of 1,8 or 5)
- delegate local anaesthesia to nurses if possible
- whenever possible, use regional branch block rather than local infiltration, thereby reducing number of injections/areas needed.
 
Hi everyone — I’m a podiatrist dealing with significant hand fatigue from years of high-volume procedures, and I’m looking for ways to reduce thumb force during injections. Dentistry seems far ahead of medicine in ergonomic injector design, so I’m hoping to learn from your experience.

I give a large number of injections daily and am interested in ergonomic or powered syringe systems. Many of the dental solutions I’ve found rely on prefilled carpules. In medical practice we typically draw up our own medications, so I’m trying to understand whether there are cartridge-compatible systems, refillable options, or alternative injector designs that could work safely in a non-dental setting.

Local compounding pharmacies I contacted said they don’t fill carpules, so I may be looking at this from the wrong angle. I’d appreciate any suggestions on ergonomic injection devices, workflow adaptations, or products you’ve seen help reduce hand strain in high-volume clinics.

Thanks in advance — any direction is appreciated.

There are some electronically controlled syringes (like a wand), but they are more for patient comfort. They are just really slow. If you want to deliver the anesthetic quickly, go with larger needle (not length, but gauge). Less force needed to deliver the same volume. 25ga is much faster than 30ga with a lot less force, if you don't want to change your existing system. Use higher concentrations of anesthetic so you need to deliver less volume.
 
Consider powered or trigger style injectors to reduce thumb strain, and optimize technique (speed, gauge, batching) to ease overall hand fatigue.