Ortho apply non-match or match only?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Status
Not open for further replies.

pearlybois

New Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Rising D4, applying to ortho this summer.

I'm really torn between two options:
(1) applying to a few non-match programs, then applying to match programs if I don't get into any non-match programs
(2) applying to match only

There is one non-match program I like a lot, but not sure the location is my favorite.
There are few match programs I like more, but I believe they would be more competitive. I'd hate to apply to match only and then not match anywhere though...

Here are my stats:
Rank: Top 15%
GRE: 160/160, 5
Research: 2 poster presentations
Leadership: president of a large club, lots of school involvement
Volunteer: decent

Any advice?
 
I would apply to both. There's no true way they can tell. And the program directors are too busy to chat with each other and cross reference. The trickiest thing I see people run into is that they get a non match offer BUT really LIKE a match program they interviewed at, so they struggle to take what is already being offered vs. gambling on matching to their preferred program.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.