Erythropoietin and mRNA synthesis

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Akam ahz

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,
My text book says that “Erythropoietin increases all steps of erythropoisis as it stimulates mRNA synthesis

I don’t get how the EPO increases mRNA synthesis in RBCs.

The book doesn’t give further explanations, could anyone help me, please?

Members don't see this ad.

Hello,
My text book says that “Erythropoietin increases all steps of erythropoisis as it stimulates mRNA synthesis

I don’t get how the EPO increases mRNA synthesis in RBCs.

The book doesn’t give further explanations, could anyone help me, please?

Just googled Erythropoietin and apparently it’s a cytokine. Are you familiar with cytokines as signaling molecules?

From what I’m reading, when we are lacking O2 in the circulation, the kidney secretes this cytokine which must bind to bone marrow cells I’m guessing in order to stimulate the production of RBCs...not exactly sure where the mRNA stimulation comes into play

Last edited:
Think about it this way. Epo stimulates RBC precursors to differentiate into RBCs. In order for any sort of differentiation to occur, there must be protein expression changes, which must come from changes in the mRNAs expressed.

Reactions: 1 users
Think about it this way. Epo stimulates RBC precursors to differentiate into RBCs. In order for any sort of differentiation to occur, there must be protein expression changes, which must come from changes in the mRNAs expressed.

So basically the EPO binds to the bone marrow cell, signals it to differentiate into an RBC, and in doing so the protein expression w/in this bone marrow cell / RBC is changed (so that it can function as an RBC)?

So basically the EPO binds to the bone marrow cell, signals it to differentiate into an RBC, and in doing so the protein expression w/in this bone marrow cell / RBC is changed (so that it can function as an RBC)?

Yes, that is my interpretation of it, without any other information in context.

Reactions: 1 user