ESI in lactation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mehul_25

Dude!!!
10+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
any thoughts on ESI during breastfeeding?

thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
i frequently have thoughts about breast feeding?....why do u ask?

T

in all seriousness...any reason not to?

I'm not aware of any study on ESI in lactating women per se.

There are safety studies in regard to hormone administration (steroids) by several routes and breast feeding which showed a favorable safety profile. Although, overall production may be slightly decreased with steroid administration.

In my practice, I will instruct the mother to pump a 48 hour milk supply prior to her ESI. She may resume feedings 24 hours after the injection (mainly as I typically will give sedation; however, I do not put any opioids in the mixture). Also, I will use transforaminal approach if clinically indicated as there is a potential for less steroid consumption.

1: Contraception. 2001 Dec;64(6):369-76.

Contraceptive efficacy and clinical performance of Nestorone implants in postpartum women.

Massai MR, Díaz S, Quinteros E, Reyes MV, Herreros C, Zepeda A, Croxatto HB, Moo-Young AJ.

1: Contraception. 1997 Oct;56(4):223-32.

Fertility regulation in nursing women. IX. Contraceptive performance, duration of lactation, infant growth, and bleeding patterns during use of progesterone vaginal rings, progestin-only pills, Norplant implants, and Copper T 380-A intrauterine devices.

Díaz S, Zepeda A, Maturana X, Reyes MV, Miranda P, Casado ME, Peralta O, Croxatto HB.
Consultorio de Planificacion Familiar, Instituto Chileno de Medicina Reproductiva, Santiago, Chile.

1: Pediatrics. 2008 Jan;121(1):e92-100.
Effect of preterm birth and antenatal corticosteroid treatment on lactogenesis II in women.

Henderson JJ, Hartmann PE, Newnham JP, Simmer K.
School of Women's and Infants' Health, University of Western Australia, Crawley, Western Australia, Australia. [email protected]