Lumber and cervical ESI - same visit

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

epidural man

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Would any of you ever entertain (or have you done) doing a lumbar and cervical ESI on the same visit?

Members don't see this ad.

are you going to use 160 mg depomedrol for this injection?

only if the patient were a significant risk for coming off anticoagulation - but generally speaking these patients have far greater other health concerns.

Members don't see this ad :)
i dont think insurance will pay for it
Yep. Patient would have to pay cash for the second epidural.

However I have never done two ESI the same day. Insanely rare to have a patient that desperately needs two ESI at once.

One area is worse than the other, and should be addressed first.

Reactions: 1 user
I don’t do this much but sometimes. For Personal Injury: yes. I only do it if the patient is going under MAC for any weird reason (not common) or on blood thinners. Insurance World is unlikely to okay it. That being said, I’ve done this I think once in my life or twice?

Extenuating circumstances and use 40 at both sites. Also, I'd do this expecting not to be paid for one of them.

Just do a caudal with catheter run all the way up to cervical spine. One injection. Hit both areas. Easy

/s

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
Yep. Patient would have to pay cash for the second epidural.

However I have never done two ESI the same day. Insanely rare to have a patient that desperately needs two ESI at once.

One area is worse than the other, and should be addressed first.
same

Used to do it occasionally when I worked at the VA and patients had severe neck and lbp and responded well to previous ILESIs