ESI in patient with SCS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

oneforfighting

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Patient has old lumbar SCS implant no longer functioning. Thoughts on doing a LESI? Risk of infection?

Members don't see this ad.

as long as you are not intending to do the LESI at the exact level site where the lead enters the epidural space...

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Not even a thought. I do all standard procedures on patients with scs (lesi, RFA, siji, etc)

Reactions: 2 users
as long as you are not intending to do the LESI at the exact level site where the lead enters the epidural space...
Concern that fluid pressure will move the lead?

Patient has old lumbar SCS implant no longer functioning. Thoughts on doing a LESI? Risk of infection?
I generally don't bother unless there's an acute HNP as I assume they had ESIs prior to having failed into an SCS, but the main risk I worry about is the risk of hardware trauma/damage.

Reactions: 1 user
I generally don't bother unless there's an acute HNP as I assume they had ESIs prior to having failed into an SCS, but the main risk I worry about is the risk of hardware trauma/damage.
This particular pt hasn't used his system for 12-13 years. I figure there’s a chance that he’s got some new degenerative changes worth a shot. I was taught in fellowship to avoid injecting those with implants for fear of infection. Think that was overblown.

We give preop abx in my fellowship if patients have SCS or hardware. Does anyone else do that?

We give preop abx in my fellowship if patients have SCS or hardware. Does anyone else do that?
no, thats overkill, as longa s you're not touching the hardware and following proper sterile technique, you'll be fine.

Reactions: 1 users
Antibiotic stewardship for $2000 Alex.