Esophageal Stent

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ReOxygenation

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Stage III-ish distal esophageal SCC, hepatogastric nodes +
- dysphagia to liquids
- Patient with leukocytosis, fever, CXR concerning for PNA (presumably aspiration)
- reports history of vomiting (6-7x per day), states tastes like acid (gastric contents?)
- primary team feels patient aspirating saliva 2/2 esophageal obstruction and have no end point to antibiotic coverage with their working diagnosis of aspiration PNA

They want to know if they should consider placing a stent to relieve the obstruction.
- on induction chemo
- likely to undergo chemoXRT in the next 2 weeks

We are hesitant to place one given risk of increasing aspiration after stenting and possible complications placing one (perforation, hemorrhage, erosion during chemo/XRT, etc) but not totally opposed

We do not feel complete obstruction since patient complaining of acidic tasting vomitus with coloration consistent with gastric contents

Would you recommend a stent in such a patient?
If so, why?
If not, under what circumstances would you stent?

What, if any, special considerations must there be if/when undergoing XRT with a stent in place

Of note, patient has a functioning peg in place.

Members don't see this ad.

I wouldn't. He has a peg, so why stent him? The theory of him aspirating saliva is not clear to me.
Since he already has fever neoadjuvant chemo will probably have to be stopped anyway.
I would stop chemo now and do palliative RT only (something like 42 Gy in 3 Gy/d).
His treatment is palliative anyways, right?