essay at the interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hnguyen

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

How's everyone doing? I turned in my supplement application to usc on tuesday october 21 and I just received a letter from usc today which said that i was schedule for interview on nov 8.

i was wondering if there's any way i can prepare myself for the interview especially the writing.

i'm just not a good writer under time pressure... because i'm just horrible with grammar and stuff.

is there a certain topic that they tend to ask on? is there any reading that can help me for the writing.

good luck to everyone out there,

hnguyen

Members don't see this ad.

well, there is nothing much you can prepare for the essay cause they can ask you to write about almost anything.
if you're weak in grammer, you should review a college composition book.

at for usc interview, i heard that they usually give you a passage and ask you to summarize it. i dunno if they're still doing the same thing. so the people at USC, please confirm.

good luck on your interview.

Originally posted by ucdbiochem

at for usc interview, i heard that they usually give you a passage and ask you to summarize it. i dunno if they're still doing the same thing. so the people at USC, please confirm.

True. It's a can of corn. It's like this scientific passage that you have to summarize. I think, like most of these essay writing exercises at iv's, it's to make sure you're the one who wrote your personal statement. Don't sweat it. You can practice however, by reading an article from like new york times or wall street journal and summarizing it. it doesn't require any outside knowledge.

I'll see you at the interview hnguyen

Members don't see this ad :)
hi,

thank you so much for the replies.

can you please give me an idea of what type of questions usc may ask? should i know some current events so i could have a discussion with the intervewers?

tri,

are you going to be on the interview committee at usc? also, do you know the acceptance rate after the interview? does usc goes by the point system? like certain amount of points for gpa, essay, interview, etc.

do you the the "exact" percent of usc student passing the board exam? do you know any website which i can find some more info about the school because i went on the school website but there isn't much beside the mission statement, etc.

sorrie if i ask too many questions because the school didn't really give me any chance to prepare ... and i just received interview yesterday... and wasn't at all prepare.

thank you so much for all of your help....

Originally posted by hnguyen
Hello,

How's everyone doing? I turned in my supplement application to usc on tuesday october 21 and I just received a letter from usc today which said that i was schedule for interview on nov 8.

i was wondering if there's any way i can prepare myself for the interview especially the writing.

i'm just not a good writer under time pressure... because i'm just horrible with grammar and stuff.

is there a certain topic that they tend to ask on? is there any reading that can help me for the writing.

good luck to everyone out there,

hnguyen

YES! Here is how. Prepare yourself with some statistics and facts. Be informed... take them with you in a folder to the interview/essay. They don't mind what you use or refer to. Just don't copy the darned thing!

More than likely you are going to write about a modern pharmacy issue (and there are lots!) and so, some basic facts are an excellent way to show them you know your stuff and you came prepared. You want to be articulate, sharp, and on the ball!

I think that you should be aware of the challenges present in the field of pharmacy. Definitely be able to discuss the role of future pharmacists -- where do you see it going and why, etc. As far as preparing for the writing portion, as suggested earlier, take an article out of a newspaper, take notes, and then summarize the article in your own words. Basically, they will give you a passage and a piece of paper. You're allowed 5 min to read it and take notes -- you CANNOT copy verbatim. Then, they'll take away the passage and the rest of the time 10-15 min (?) you will summarize it in your own words. The school breaks down each portion into a certain percentage (i.e grades, interview, experience, etc) Perhaps Triangulation can fill in the actual percentages for me. Good luck! Hopefully, I will see you during the interview.

Originally posted by hnguyen
hi,

thank you so much for the replies.

can you please give me an idea of what type of questions usc may ask? should i know some current events so i could have a discussion with the intervewers?

tri,

are you going to be on the interview committee at usc? also, do you know the acceptance rate after the interview? does usc goes by the point system? like certain amount of points for gpa, essay, interview, etc.

do you the the "exact" percent of usc student passing the board exam? do you know any website which i can find some more info about the school because i went on the school website but there isn't much beside the mission statement, etc.

sorrie if i ask too many questions because the school didn't really give me any chance to prepare ... and i just received interview yesterday... and wasn't at all prepare.

thank you so much for all of your help....