Essay question for next year's class.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Toejam

Terminal Student
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'd like some opinions on this. I'm a practicing podiatrist and I'm reapplying to be an allopathic doctor. In my essay, I want to specifically state that I'm interested in ER medicine. Does anyone think it's wrong to state a goal like that before you've even gone through the process? Do you think it's OK since I'm a DPM and I've rotated through the ER in my residency??

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think it's a bad idea to say what you are interested in. You will no doubt be asked why you wish to persue and MD and leave podietry. You will most likely be asked what particular specialty you're interested in. I know I was asked that a couple of times. People ask me that everyday - so I think it's good to know what you want to do. I don't think this is being closed to any other specialty - it is just your interest at the moment. People change their interest all the time - so who knows? 4 years from now you may be interested in OB/Gyn! :)

In one of my interviews, I was deemed presumptuous about my perspectives in medicine, even after spending 3 years in an ER (as a tech), and 5 years in a clinic (doing path and patient care). Even though you've been in an ER, I'd caution you on making your interests in EM too strongly known in your essay. Some people in adcoms may take it the wrong way, and it only takes one bad impression to torpedo your ap at a med school. The same interviewer who nearly sunk me stressed the importance of humility and being prepared for the unknown, both emotionally and intellectually. Looking back at my practice vision statement, it's easy NOW to see why he called me presumptuous!!! Lucky you don't have to do that one, it sucked...

Good luck to you toejam! I think it's great that you want to go back to school...if it's something you've always dreamed of, GO FOR IT. Few people in life actually get a second chance...make the most of it!

Members don't see this ad :)
If you state your interest in ER, then they will ask you why and what experiences led you to this decision. This is a great opportunity to fill the interviewer in about your life experiences and about your reasons for going into medicine. Although, it's perfectly fine to say you are not sure yet until after getting a feel for the other fields during rotations. Best of luck! :)

there is absolutely nothing wrong with saying you're interested in/leaning towards/considering a certain speacialty in your essay. it is something that's often asked during the interviews anyway.
however, in my opinion, it would be horrible to make it sound like you're dead set on going into any one field and that field alone. you will risk coming across as being very narrow minded regardless of your past experiences/ER rotation.