EssayEdge?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FutureTXDr

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone out there has used EssayEdge or a similiar service and what you thought? I am considering using the essay service, to try to improve my personal statement. I saw some old posts regarding this topic but they are pretty old. Just wanted to see if there are some people who used it in the 2008 or are currently using it for the 2009 application cycle. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

i used mdessay.com. their response time was great and it was great to be able to actually talk to them about my essay in detail, not just go back and forth through email. they were running a deal for SDN members. you should see if they're still doing that.

I also wondered about using one of these sites, but then decided against it.

Members don't see this ad :)
I want to give a thumbs up to Accepted.com, one of the editors, Joan, has really helped me with my essays.

I give two thumbs down to essayedge.com. The editor, Brian Valencia, basically took a thesaurus and swapped out some of my words for more ornate language. He did nothing to address my structure issues or help me to flesh out my ideas. I had serious doubts about his editor skills when his comments to me began with (direct quote)

"This was no easy feat, as I strove to sophisticate your language only to a point; it could not come off as pretentious or purposefully heightened. However, you will find that your finished essays are neither of these two things."

His revisions were riddled with typos and missing words. I got the impression that he was either just careless or an idiot.
His wording was clunky and awkward.

Last edited:
Hmmm...let the buyer beware.
I actually tried to use the essay reading service via Openspots.com a few months ago, and they actually never seem to have read my essay or sent me any feedback. It was kind of weird...I am guessing just an oversight since I doubt they are running an outright scam.

I guess I would favor getting people to do the revisions who will do it for free. Your premed advisor should be helpful as far as content,and an English prof. might be helpful to look at the form/style.

I used EssayEdge for both my medschool and grad school personal statements and was pleased with the results both times. I guess it also depends who your editors are. Good luck.

i didn't want to go through with a company since I was paranoid about them following some sort of "essay formula" or make changes too similar to other essays. I actually used an independent editor, HIGHLY recommended. PM me if you want his info.