Essential Supplies for Med. School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medready2005

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So now I'm in the process of getting things for my first year and I was wondering if anyone could recommend some necessary supplies for M1..............thanks for the help!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
A smile, a personality, and a positive attitude.

a functioning brain. charming, genuine personality also v helpful.

This thread would be more aptly named, "Show us how totally clever you can be!" :) Couldn't resist... truthfully, the intangible "supplies" are probably more important than anything you can buy.

I'm sure the OP is probably hoping for a more concrete answer, so here goes. It really depends on your school and the extent of physical examination/clinical exposure you will have first year. At my school, first years should have the following (not because all of these things are clinically useful necessarily, but because you will need them to score well on OSCE's).

1. Stethoscope
2. Tuning Fork (512 Hz)
3. Snellen Chart
4. Pen light (or just use the otoscope in the exam room if possible)
5. Ruler/Measuring Tape
6. Reflex Hammer
7. Watch with seconds

At least at my school, first years DO NOT need a sphygmomanometer or an oto/ophthalmoscope.

Starting med school?

1. highlighters (lots of them. lots of colors)
2. Pens (lots of them. lots of colors)
3. Some sort of caffiene
4. Gum. (otherwise you will eat a ton while studying.)

Wouldn't it make more sense to wait until school starts and see what you need? I mean, I have a bunch of paper, pens and pencils, a lunch box, and a working computer. Orientation just started today, and after they tell us about our classes tomorrow I'll buy what supplies (nitrile gloves or whatever) they say we definitely need, and the rest during/after the first week of classes.

you're right, i was mean, sorry :( .
wait until you get there, and i'm sure they'll tell you what you need. essential supplies like pens, papers, highlighters, folders etc (stuff you would normally have) are worth bringing. don't worry about it, it will all sort itself out. and everyone else is going to be in the same boat.

i miss those elementary school days when they gave us a nice supplies list with "24-pack of crayons" and "scissors and glue" and then you got to pack all your new stuff into a care bear box. *sigh*

Reactions: 1 user
I agree with posters above. I was never a highlighterer, but now I can't live without four big ones close at hand.

And you'll need the best pen ever made:

4coul0.jpg

I'm a picky pen person, but the BIC 4-colour pen is the BEST -- although the clickiness may drive some people crazy

CanMan said:
I agree with posters above. I was never a highlighterer, but now I can't live without four big ones close at hand.

4coul0.jpg

I'm a picky pen person, but the BIC 4-colour pen is the BEST -- although the clickiness may drive some people crazy

I don't even think you will need a pen. Most of our lectures were on Powerpoint and available to us on our curriculum web site. For myself, I never took notes because I find it difficult to pay attention and write at the same time.

I think for first and second year all you really need is a laptop (if your school posts the lectures and assignments on-line as most do) and a good attitude.

But if you must use a pen, by all means use the Pilot Precise Rolling Ball V7. The finest writing implement ever invented for less than a buck.

Panda Bear said:
I don't even think you will need a pen. Most of our lectures were on Powerpoint and available to us on our curriculum web site. For myself, I never took notes because I find it difficult to pay attention and write at the same time.

I think for first and second year all you really need is a laptop (if your school posts the lectures and assignments on-line as most do) and a good attitude.

But if you must use a pen, by all means use the Pilot Precise Rolling Ball V7. The finest writing implement ever invented for less than a buck.
Do you print out handouts and take them to class? or just follow along on your laptop? If you don't print them, do you go back to the library/home and take notes on the powerpoint slides? I just don't know what to do with the presentations we're given before class... THANKS!!!!

GonnaBeAnMD said:
Do you print out handouts and take them to class? or just follow along on your laptop? If you don't print them, do you go back to the library/home and take notes on the powerpoint slides? I just don't know what to do with the presentations we're given before class... THANKS!!!!

All of our lectures are on Powerpoint, so I print them off before class about 4 per page and take notes on them. Several people in my class just download them and do speaker notes on their laptops, but I remember things better when I actually write them down myself.

GonnaBeAnMD said:

kindling...

OmahaMX80 said:
1. Stethoscope
2. Tuning Fork (512 Hz)
3. Snellen Chart
4. Pen light (or just use the otoscope in the exam room if possible)
5. Ruler/Measuring Tape
6. Reflex Hammer
7. Watch with seconds

Of those items, I would suggest only buying #7 before starting med school. Everything else can/should wait until after classes start to see how much of that stuff you'll actually need to buy. A lot of the time, most of the equipment you'll need will be at your clinical site for your first year clinical course. For me, I didn't use any equipment until second semester; all of first semester was just interviewing. And even for doing physical exams, the only thing I needed to have of my own was a stethoscope, and that you should hold off on buying, since your school will probably have some opinions of what you should be buying (Though most likely, they'll recommend the Littman Cardio III).

CanMan said:

4coul0.jpg

Hi there,
My medical school gave us these 4-color BiC pens during orientation. Everytime one of the professors made a sentinal statement, one could hear the clicks. It was very funny.

I use multicolored PowerTank pens today. They never run out of ink and write in any position. Great pens. I also use 4-colors of Zazzle highlighters too. The Zazzle highlighters never soak through your books or papers and are always the right amount of highlight. I tend to use highlighter very sparingly.

njbmd :)

3- ring binders. You will be given handouts for almost every class. A 1 or 1 1/2 inch binder for each exam is usually sufficient.

Another essential: A student that's 1 year ahead of you who can tell you which prof's will just read to you verbatum from their slides--you can spend your time studying rather than attending "story time".

definitely print out powerpoint presentations before lectures - leaves you to highlight and annotate as neccessary.
alot of things are down to your own personal preference, and you'll find out what works for you as you go along. some people like loose leaf paper organised with binders and many dividers, others prefer to write in a notebook, while others are surgically attached to their laptops.