Establishing dual residency?

Started by RanRun
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

RanRun

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
My parents are divorced, they both live in michigan,
but one of them owns an apartment in florida...
I currently live in Michigan, go to MSU and have a Michigan drivers license
I am listed as one of the owners of the apartment, so could i be considered a florida state resident?
 
My parents are divorced, they both live in michigan,
but one of them owns an apartment in florida...
I currently live in Michigan, go to MSU and have a Michigan drivers license
I am listed as one of the owners of the apartment, so could i be considered a florida state resident?
No idea about Florida state laws regarding residency, although I highly doubt that you would be considered a resident. Usually you need a driver's license, car registration, voting record, etc. to be considered a resident of a state. You will have to research it though because each state is different, so FL may be more lenient than other states.

However, you can only pick one state to be a resident of when you apply. You can't pick both
 
Nope. Gotta indicate one state on AMCAS.

However, most public schools (and even many private ones) will give preference to people with significant ties to the area. So, it may help you out. However, the real issue is getting in-state tuition for one of the public schools. It's easier to do that in some states than others.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Nope. Gotta indicate one state on AMCAS.

However, most public schools (and even many private ones) will give preference to people with significant ties to the area. So, it may help you out. However, the real issue is getting in-state tuition for one of the public schools. It's easier to do that in some states than others.

Texas sucks. I had to go through hell and back to become a resident of this state just to get in-state tuition for undergrad.

OP, you probably will want to stick with one state only for when you apply for medical school. Also, like someone else said, every state is different for acquiring residency. For instance, I lived in NH for four years after being a native of NY my whole life, and all I had to do was have the notary sign a piece of paper of my proof of residence after six months, and bam, I was a resident. In Texas, I had to sell my first born, cut off my left arm, do a little dance, sing a song about how Texas is awesome, and do other things that I just can't talk about in public.

Kidding on the last part, but yeah, I went through some BS.
 
thanks guys.
yeah, im not worried about getting in-state tuition yet...right now im worried about being accepted to florida schools (instaters get significantly higher chances)...is there anyway to let the florida schools know that i have a place in florida registered in my name?
 
...is there anyway to let the florida schools know that i have a place in florida registered in my name?

AMCAS asks:

- What state do you consider to be your primary residence
- Where you lived for the majority of your childhood (0-18 yrs)
- Temporary address
- Permanent address
- Mom's address
- Dad's address

... I think the last two would help your cause, but you still wouldn't be considered a Florida resident by strict definition