Establishing Residency for Tuition Purposes..?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chloehazel

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm getting pretty excited about starting my VMCAS here in a couple of weeks, and I am currently deciding on what schools I want to apply to. Obviously, tuition plays a huge role in that considering how we all would prefer to have as little debt as possible. So does anyone have any insight about how different states classify students for in-state tuition purposes? No matter where I go my FIRST year of vet school will be out of state, but do some states allow you to gain residency after your first year if you ...get a job... get a drivers license from that state ... register to vote in that state ... etc?

The schools I'm considering are:

-Texas A&M
-Colorado State
-NC State
-Auburn

My home state is Florida. If anyone has any info about these schools and gaining residency, I'd appreciate it!

Members don't see this ad.

So I'm getting pretty excited about starting my VMCAS here in a couple of weeks, and I am currently deciding on what schools I want to apply to. Obviously, tuition plays a huge role in that considering how we all would prefer to have as little debt as possible. So does anyone have any insight about how different states classify students for in-state tuition purposes? No matter where I go my FIRST year of vet school will be out of state, but do some states allow you to gain residency after your first year if you ...get a job... get a drivers license from that state ... register to vote in that state ... etc?

The schools I'm considering are:

-Texas A&M
-Colorado State
-NC State
-Auburn

My home state is Florida. If anyone has any info about these schools and gaining residency, I'd appreciate it!

Colorado and Auburn are definite no's. NC state I believe lets you switch to in-state residency after your first year.

Switching to NCState residency after your first year is actually cheaper than IS tuition for four years at UF :rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad :)
I think ohio will let you switch to instate after the first year as well. I realize it's not on your list, but if you haven't looked in to it, I would.

Definitely look into Mizzou! It is one of the cheapest OOS schools and you can easily gain residency after the first year. That is my plan! I know Ohio State does as well, but they seem to have more hoops to jump through and more restrictions on it.

Definitely look into Mizzou! It is one of the cheapest OOS schools and you can easily gain residency after the first year. That is my plan! I know Ohio State does as well, but they seem to have more hoops to jump through and more restrictions on it.

This :thumbup: I'm about to fill out my residency application, so I'll let you all know how it goes ;) Apparently everyone who wants to get residency, gets it, unless you do something really silly (like have your parents buy you a condo...).

Ohio, Mizzou, and NC State will let you change, but Ohio is pretty pricey even after switching. Check the estimated costs of vet school thread for more info.

I don't know if you have a significant other or not, but it is possible to gain residency FIRST year if you are moving to the state for a reason other than vet school (i.e. spouse's employment). I know this applies to the schools that offer the second year residency option, but it may even exist for other schools as well (you would have to ask, not really sure). I don't know about other schools, but for Ohio State, the main things my fiance and I have to show are our marriage certificate and 2 months worth of pay stubs from his job. Now, I'm not saying jump the gun, find a SO, and get married! I just wanted to let you know that this method does exist! :)

CSU will absolutely NOT let you change your residency status after first year. However, if you want to relocate by this August, you qualify for in state status. The rule is, you have to live here a year prior to matriculation, not application :)

CSU will absolutely NOT let you change your residency status after first year. However, if you want to relocate by this August, you qualify for in state status. The rule is, you have to live here a year prior to matriculation, not application :)

At least for tuition purposes, I believe TAMU does the same thing, though I think they want you to be gainfully employed during that year.

Thank you everyone for your input! Super helpful. Looks like NC State has moved to top of my list...

If only CSU would just be a bit cheaper. Thats my #1 choice, but I don't think my finances will allow me to go there.

Thanks again!

Just an FYI in case you didn't know, Texas doesn't take very many OOS students. I think in their stats I saw at most 8 so if you don't have amazing stats then it might not be worth spending money applying to them. Just thought I'd let you know! I was looking at them too but my stuff isn't the best so I decided it probably wasn't worth the money just to get told no.

Thank you everyone for your input! Super helpful. Looks like NC State has moved to top of my list...

If only CSU would just be a bit cheaper. Thats my #1 choice, but I don't think my finances will allow me to go there.

Thanks again!

NCSU had been my top choice for about a year pre-application. Then I got into some schools unexpectedly and it threw me. But I chose NC State and it's a great choice, especially for financial reasons!

If you moved to CO and got residency, CO would not be much more expensive. Just a thought.

Also, bear in mind that NCSU is very competitive for OOS applicants. If you dig through their admissions presentations online, they do get a lot of applications and they won't even consider OOS student with under a 3.4 GPA (I think that's the cutoff). So get them grades! Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Mizzou , Mizzou, Mizzou :D

IS residency after 1st year. 3rd cheapest school for OOS students.. Super cheap cost of living... ( I'm paying $275 a month with 2 roomies and a fenced in backyard) .. 2 years of class room studies, 2 years of clinicals.

Oh yea, and they accept 60 OOS students and 60 IS... Granted they are pretty heavy on GPA when evaluating applicants... But they are a great option for OOS students!!!

I can't wait to start in August :D

Well on that note, Fort Collins is rated as one of the top cities to live as far as quality of life, and I believe they were just named one of 4 US cities with Platinum status for cyclists... whatever that means lol.

Can't beat that sunshine :)

This :thumbup: I'm about to fill out my residency application, so I'll let you all know how it goes ;) Apparently everyone who wants to get residency, gets it, unless you do something really silly (like have your parents buy you a condo...).
Why is that silly? I am buying a house ( I don't have nice parents )) I think that makes sense instead of renting.

Why is that silly? I am buying a house ( I don't have nice parents )) I think that makes sense instead of renting.

I think she's just referring to the way Ohio State lets OOS become IS for tuition where you can't have ANY out-of-Ohio financial support during your first year or like a big sum of money deposited right before school starts or something.

Buying a house is not silly. Having your parents buy you a house when you are not supposed to be getting any financial help from OOS is silly ;)

Buying a house is not silly. Having your parents buy you a house when you are not supposed to be getting any financial help from OOS is silly ;)
Oh, OK. I thought I was doing something stupid that is gonna raise a red flag and jeopardize my residency thing. Thanks!

I'm curious how it would work if we (my family) moved to the state the school is in after being accepted but before courses begin. My husband is a disabled veteran, and unable to work, but we wouldn't be getting money from outside the state.

I'm curious how it would work if we (my family) moved to the state the school is in after being accepted but before courses begin. My husband is a disabled veteran, and unable to work, but we wouldn't be getting money from outside the state.

Depends on where you go. I would guess that may not be enough time to earn residency until after your first year though, which some schools allow. Many schools will not allow changes in your residency status for tuition purposes however, so regardless of if you move you'll be paying the OOS rate for all four years.

I seem to remember a few schools would allow you to change residency after a year if (and only if) you had a spouse working in the state for a full year. This is different from the schools like Ohio and Missouri that allow you to become in-state after a year on your own. I'm not sure what the implications would be since your spouse would not be working (but would be receiving benefits I presume?). Honestly, I would call/email the schools you're interested in and ask them about it directly since your situation is probably unique.

I probably will call Kansas state, as we were Kansas residents before I had to move for a job (right after he separated from the military). Maybe prior residency will work in our favor.

I seem to remember a few schools would allow you to change residency after a year if (and only if) you had a spouse working in the state for a full year. This is different from the schools like Ohio and Missouri that allow you to become in-state after a year on your own. I'm not sure what the implications would be since your spouse would not be working (but would be receiving benefits I presume?). Honestly, I would call/email the schools you're interested in and ask them about it directly since your situation is probably unique.

Missouri has two different residency change options...

1. Move here and get residency after 1st year ( you must work and earn at least $2,000, and can only go home for 2 weeks of summer vacation)

2. Move here with a spouse ( who has / gets a job in Missouri) / marry a Missouri resident that has a job.. And you basically get automatic IS residency starting 1st year.

NCSU is pretty good about helping you get residency. You do have to work during the summer, or at least sometime in the year you are here. Also you can't leave the state and go to a single place for more than seven days. However, if you are married it makes it easier. Not sure how much it complicates things if your spouse can't work though.