Establishing residency/in-state tuition.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Geekchick921

Achievement Unlocked: MD
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is there a list or spreadsheet either somewhere on SDN or elsewhere online that details what is required to establish residency in various states/what has to be done to qualify for in-state tuition?

I see this come up quite a bit and I have seen the info given for certain states (like getting in-state tuition for Ohio and NJ is fairly easy), but I have not seen a full list or anything like that. Anyone seen something like this, if it exists? If not, does anyone want to make one up?

Members don't see this ad.

I would love to see it. I'm not aware of any list since every state does it their own special way because each state has to be it's own special little flower (oh wait, they do all get their own flower :scared:).

We could try to create a SDN. Have people post the rules and requirements for their own state or state of interest.

I would love to see it. I'm not aware of any list since every state does it their own special way because each state has to be it's own special little flower (oh wait, they do all get their own flower :scared:).

We could try to create a SDN. Have people post the rules and requirements for their own state or state of interest.
Don't hate on the Mountain Laurel, Narmer! :)

I am going to look into this. A spreadsheet with each state and the requirements to establish residency would be a handy little thing to have floating around here.

ETA: I found this, but I don't know if it's the same for undergrad (which I believe this is for) and graduate/professional schools.

http://www.finaid.org/otheraid/stateresidency.phtml