Estimated Salaries in 2018

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WVUPharm2007

imagine sisyphus happy
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
According to the Economic Research Institute, the mean pharmacist salary in 2018 should be about $139,955. I'm sure this includes inflation as I don't see our worth going up $60,000 in today's money in 15 years, but an interesting estimation into the future none-the-less. You can see for yourself:

http://www.erieri.com/index.cfm?FuseAction=CareerPlanning.SalaryPotential

For comparison:
Pharmacy Technician: $29,772
Pharmacy Director: $156,198
Physical Therapist: $76,049
Dentist: $181,706
Radiologist: $383,581
Registered Nurse: $75,909
LPN: $42,449

Members don't see this ad.

Wow, this made me want to go to pharmacy school. My friends have been telling me to go to med school, since I have the grade for it, but I don't think I have the will to go to school for that long.

I think the salary outlook is high but possible. I read that Pharmacist had a salary of $50,000 back in the day and currently it is $100,000.

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by michelleca4
I think the salary outlook is high but possible. I read that Pharmacist had a salary of $50,000 back in the day and currently it is $100,000.

"Back in the day"? It wasn't that long ago at all. Retail was paying about 35-40k/year as recently as 15-20 years ago. I frequently work with older fill-in pharmacists, and I have a feeling that it's because the salaries have increased so much in recent years. Last week I was working with a pharmacist who had "retired" from 2 or 3 different chains and was still filling in at others when he felt like it. Unfortunately, I could tell from his attitude that it was not because he loved his job so much.

$100,000 is like top 10%, if not more rare. I'd say more like $85,000 - keep in mind the above is an average.

$100,000 may be the high end if you're talking about a nationwide average....we're closer to 80-85 here in Nevada. But we both come from OC Cali, where the cost of living is high, so an average salary in the 90's down in your "neck of the woods" probably isn't too far off. Anyone out there familiar with Southern California retail salaries?

$100,000 is in reference to the pharmacist I have met in southern california ...yes the avg is around $85,000.

15 years is a long way to predict. Many people are so unsure about the future of medicine/healthcare in general. Interesting to find a website that predicts salaries of a professional genre much in question.

Not that I'm complaining...if all goes to plan, my $300,000 will fit nicely into my budget.

Was Googling to compare salaries and this came up. I think it's time for a bump. It's 2018 now -- where are we all at now in comparison to predictions?

Reactions: 1 users
This is crazy talk, pure speculation and no fact? I hope you aren't basing your career choices on medscape.

This is crazy talk, pure speculation and no fact? I hope you aren't basing your career choices on medscape.
I hope you recognize how dreadfully old this thread I bumped is...

Reactions: 1 user
According to the Economic Research Institute, the mean pharmacist salary in 2018 should be about $139,955. I'm sure this includes inflation as I don't see our worth going up $60,000 in today's money in 15 years, but an interesting estimation into the future none-the-less. You can see for yourself:

Salary Survey Data and Geographic Pay Differentials | ERI Economic Research Institute

For comparison:

How much did the pharmacy school deans pay you to post this here?

Supply of pharmDs will far outweight any new demand. 15,000 new pharmDs printed every year. Excess supply will cause serious depression on pharmacist wages. By 2025 my math shows the average salary of a pharmacist at 65,000 USD a year. Someone please screenshot this.

RemindMe! 61320 hour

Members don't see this ad :)
That is actually less than I'm making in 2018. Wow. I'm sort of surprised. A recession and labor surplus later and I'm ahead of the 2004 pie in the sky estimate.

What's the actual mean wage, though?

Reactions: 3 users
That is actually less than I'm making in 2018. Wow. I'm sort of surprised. A recession and labor surplus later and I'm ahead of the 2004 pie in the sky estimate.

What's the actual mean wage, though?
you should make another prediction for the future

If the salary for pharmacist will be 60k instead of 100k, then why make us go through 4 years of training? Why 4 years of pharmacy school? Why will it be less than nursing?

This prediction was pretty accurate in my case-- that is my base salary around 140k. There probably will be some shrinkage in pharmacist wages in the next 15 years. Retail is dying and hospitals don't need to raise wages much when they get 200+ people applying for every job. That said, I don't think we are going less than 100k ever. Minimum wage is now $15/hour on the west coast and this translates to over 30k per year. A pharmacist should be making at least 3x the minimum wage salary.

I do. My point was Google, specifically finding Medscape articles.
I'm long past finding careers based on salaries. I just like to make sure I'm still being paid the market rate.

And yes...I use Google. Often, even. Can't figure out your Medscape reference as there are no other references to Medscape in this thread, and I've never seen them compare pharmacist salaries. If you don't use Google ever you must be some kind of Internet elitist...congrats.

I'm long past finding careers based on salaries. I just like to make sure I'm still being paid the market rate.

And yes...I use Google. Often, even. Can't figure out your Medscape reference as there are no other references to Medscape in this thread, and I've never seen them compare pharmacist salaries. If you don't use Google ever you must be some kind of Internet elitist...congrats.

I wasn't being a smart ass. I'd start with the VA and state universities, you can often find a name on the local website and then it's a simple matter of looking up their salary using the public information system they've deployed. Good luck.

I must be way below market value... I graduated in 2016 and I am still not close to 100k a year, even with two pay increases. One of the girls from my class is just making $30 an hour with two hours a week.

I must be way below market value... I graduated in 2016 and I am still not close to 100k a year, even with two pay increases. One of the girls from my class is just making $30 an hour with two hours a week.
Are you getting 40 hour weeks?

If the salary for pharmacist will be 60k instead of 100k, then why make us go through 4 years of training? Why 4 years of pharmacy school? Why will it be less than nursing?

Supply and demand. It does not matter how long we go to school or how much loans we take out. If there are too many pharmacists and not enough jobs then employers can and will lower salaries.

Software engineers can easily earn $100-150k/year for 4 years less schooling and without $200k+ in loans, or even without a degree. That is because there is a shortage of engineers, so employees have far more leverage.

Salary Survey Data and Geographic Pay Differentials | ERI Economic Research Institute

For comparison:
Wow! 2018 and my base salary as a hospital staff pharmacist is $145,000.

When we do have an opening (rare), we offer new hires between $100,000 - 120,000 depending on experience.

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

I'm making a fair bit less than that, but I never expected to make the big bucks working in non-profit pediatric hospitals.

This wasn't my prediction, though. It was some labor compensation organization.
Well there is no such thing as an original thought. All thoughts are copied from other thoughts.