Pcat test takers 2018

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ploqt54

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello pcat takers of 2018!

I was wondering what your thoughts are after taking the pcat and any tips you might have?

I noticed I am pretty bad at Math word problems and I know half the Math part on the pcat is word problems. What have you guys used to practice with this besides Collins? Also how was the reading compared to Collins?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi @Ploqt54! Here are some tips when taking the PCAT:

• Do as many practice problems as you can. Making mistakes on practice problems and practice exams is crucial because you should learn from your mistakes.
    • When working through practice problems, start untimed. Over time as you get more acquainted with the exam, have a stopwatch available and begin timing each problem.
  • Allocate some time everyday to studying for the PCAT. Depending on how long you have until the PCAT, you should give yourself a balanced schedule.
    • Some students like to use notecards to help keep notes but whatever helps you remember is key!
  • Specifically for the math questions, there are two "tricks" that is important to know. First, you can utilize the answer choices. Sometimes, working "backwards" is easier than working forwards. Remember, the PCAT essentially gives you the answer as one of four possible answer choices so make sure to utilize it! Second, make up numbers that is pertinent to a specific question. For example, if a problem gives you several possible variables, it would be difficult to set up multi-variable equations. Instead, pick numbers and see which answer choices match up.
  • The goal of the science passage portions is not read the passage word for word. The exam is there to test how you apply that knowledge with what you've learned and how you interpret what the specific passage is saying.
Hope this helps!