Estrogen receptor

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dfib slim

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys. I was wondering if the estrogen receptor was located in the nucleus or the cytoplasm. Pathoma and my OBGYN text both mention that it is in the cytoplasm but numerous websites say nucleus.

I believe the estrogen receptor is a member of the thyroid hormone receptor superfamily which would make sense for it to be in the nucleus.

Members don't see this ad.

Cytoplasm. Estrogen binding leads to the estrogen-receptor complex migrating into the nucleus. There are circumstances where you find the receptor elsewhere with different functions, but for the purposes of examination and your question: estrogen- cytoplasm, thyroid hormone- nucleus.

Reactions: 1 user
A rule of thumb (and this is really HY) is that if you ever get a question about the location of a steroid receptor, the answer is always "cytosolic." The only exception is T3/T4, which is in the nucleus. Vitamin A (all-trans retinoic acid) is also nucleus, but that's not a steroid hormone.

Reactions: 2 users
A rule of thumb (and this is really HY) is that if you ever get a question about the location of a steroid receptor, the answer is always "cytosolic." The only exception is T3/T4, which is in the nucleus. Vitamin A (all-trans retinoic acid) is also nucleus, but that's not a steroid hormone.

I wonder why they took this out of FA14. I know it's in FA12.

I wonder why they took this out of FA14. I know it's in FA12.

I've worked with FA for two years so far. What I can say is that we are aware that there is a lot of stuff that could be in the book that is potentially very valuable for Step 1. The strength and weakness of FA is that it is a heavily democratic book. We do crowdsourcing and get tons of people to vote on content that they think is HY vs LY. I'll admit that it's sometimes frustrating seeing stuff voted as LY when it's not. But it's not what any one particular person thinks, but rather much of the time what the crowd consensus is. In essence it's striking a balance between keeping the book concise and HY vs including every detail but becoming superfluous and long-winded like the Kaplan notes. We take many people's thoughts and votes into consideration when including material. Although not every person will always be content, it's a good way to ensure that most people will be. The crowd doesn't have the final word on things, but if there is an overwhelming consensus in one particular direction for a given topic, that will usually win.