Ethical Question...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mellsworth21

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have an interview lined up for a "operating room assistant" I applied in April, wanting a summer job. However, they asked me if I would be going back to school this fall, and I tould them "perhaps."
I really want the job, and I am going back to school, I hate not telling the truth, what should I do? I dont want to "burn bridges" and my reputation matters (but so does my bank account) Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

I have an interview lined up for a "operating room assistant" I applied in April, wanting a summer job. However, they asked me if I would be going back to school this fall, and I tould them "perhaps."
I really want the job, and I am going back to school, I hate not telling the truth, what should I do? I dont want to "burn bridges" and my reputation matters (but so does my bank account) Thoughts?

You told them there was a possiblity of your educational return...I don't see an ethical problem here. Lets put it this way, if you do end up leaving in the fall (which it sounds like you will), it won't be the first time someone has left their position. They won't loose any sleep over you leaving.

Anyone else? My mother thinks I should just tell them. But its my only job prospect. And its a darn good one.

Members don't see this ad :)
tell them exactly what you said- you really want the job but you are going back to school in the fall.

I would take the job. You told them you might be returning to school so if they hire you, they do so with the knowledge and acceptance that you may be leaving. I think that is fair enough.

I am a bioethics masters student if it helps to make you feel better ;)

If you're only going to be able to work there for 3 months, then I don't think it's fair to the hospital to spend the money to train you when you'll only be able to work as a trained employee for a month or two. If you can't accept the responsibility the job requires, don't take it in the first place. But it may be worth trying, just be honest.

do wats good for u