Ethical Dilemma Letter of Intent TMDSAS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dr.thicc

Reaction score
Hello. I am a longtime lurker and first time poster. Before the TMDSAS match, I sent a letter of intent to my first choice school. While I did not match to that school, I was lucky enough to have matched to my fourth option and placed on the waitlist for my first choice. If I am accepted off the waitlist, do I have to accept that option due to my letter of intent even if I have found an apartment and roommates at my fourth choice. I want to be as ethical as possible and would appreciate any advice.

Members don't see this ad.

Maybe you could write a kind letter asking to be withdrawn from the waitlist while describing how you already have found and paid for housing arrangements and stuff. They will not hunt you down, and the general consensus seems to be that admissions committees just view our letters of intents with a grain of salt anyways

Reactions: 1 users
Big disclaimer: I know nothing about the rules of applying to Texas medical schools.

That being said, it seems to me that you wrote a letter saying, "I’ll go there if you accept me." This was an offer by you.

They did not accept you. Your offer was rejected.

There was no offer and acceptance. There was no contract. There was no implicit or explicit agreement. There was no meeting of the minds.

It’s kind of like when you apply ED to undergrad and get deferred. After the deferral, you are no longer bound to go there even if you subsequently get in.

So, I would be completely shocked if you are ethically, morally, and forget about legally bound by a letter of intent sent prior to decision only to have been placed on the waitlist.

Of course, if you send one now knowing you are on the waitlist that’s a completely different story. But other than that, they are out of their minds if they think they can enforce a pre-decision letter of intent that did not result in a decision of admission.

This is the advice of someone who knows nothing so take it for what it is worth—nothing!!

Best of luck!!

Last edited: