Ethical?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Prozach

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, everyone knows that an AMCAS pretty much exclusively cares about post-secondary school activities. However, I have been volunteering at this particular hospital since the summer of my sophomore year of H.S., continuing straight through to my 'post-secondary' days. I have about 200 hours. Would it be ethical to list all of the hours?

Members don't see this ad.

Well, I was sort of in the same boat -- I volunteered 1100 hours at a hospital from my freshman year of hs until I left for college. I 'technically' received an award for it a couple of days before I left for college, and I decided to put it (the award) on my application, and conveniently mention what I received it for. I was a reapplicant, and the first time around, I didn't say very much about this significant experience including putting it as an EC because of the whole post-secondary bit, and the second time around, I felt it would make a difference in my application. So, I don't think it will hurt you, especially since you have to put in dates, but it might help you. I would say go for it...

My 2 cents...

Yeah, go ahead. I don?t think schools are really that picky about whether something happened post-secondary or not. There are some schools that even ask for stuff from high school, like your GPA, SAT, and class rank. This is clearly a significant experience, and you should fill them in on it.