Ethnicity

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nixon13

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do Indians (from India, not NA) have a better chance at acceptance?

Members don't see this ad.

forum search is your friend

Members don't see this ad :)

1. Race should-have/has no bearing on acceptance.
2. "India" overrepresented in health-care industries therefore not considered a minority for acceptance.
3. You should strive to have acceptable qualifications like everyone else who is working hard to get into dental school.
4. good luck!

HAHAHAHA....where have you been "mere dost"?
NO WAY IN HELL IS THIS POSSIBLE!!!

Even underrepresented should have the same stats as everybody else in my opinion. The only way to promote equality is to look at everyone the same regardless of race.

Even underrepresented should have the same stats as everybody else in my opinion. The only way to promote equality is to look at everyone the same regardless of race.

dude you are so right...if you think about it...you can considerthe whole affirmative action thingy as reverse racism...yeah black people and hispanics probably like getting that type of attention but if you think about it...you can consider that as a form of racism in itself...and plus...its not fair that some kid in my college got into dental school with 16 and 17's across the board while i am trying to aim for 20's just to have my application actually reviewed...

What really bothers me is the fact that some people "play" the minority issue a little too much. It's one thing if you are coming from a disadvantaged background (even if you are white....yes whites too can be disadvantaged), or if you are from a completely foreign land. I'll use the example again of my Indian friend (who btw was born in America). She has had an extremely priviledged upbringing (even compared to all the non-minorities I know), but still declares herself as a minority. Now, who knows what happens when ADCOM's compare her "on paper" to any other typical suburban kid with competitive stats. Anyway, I can't stress enough, that race should be eliminated outright from applications. Why do they ask you when you sign up for the DAT, "do you wish to be considered a minority??" What is that supposed to mean? Qualified applicants are qualified applicants, and those who show interest and desire should be the ones addmitted, whether they are white, black, blue, orange, or magenta.

I agree. I'm a minority (Asian, though), but I don't understand how people support affirmitive action because it seems so patrionizing to me. Like "oh, we'll hold you to lower standards because it's the best you can do." WTF is that. Yeah, okay, it's supposed to even the playing field for those who grew up in underprivileged areas, but isn't that just setting up unprepared people for struggles or even failure? How does that help anyone? If you want to fix those issues, go to the root of the problem. Improve schools, particularly in urban areas. Support school choice programs and voucher systems. But don't just hold certain people to lower standards and then throw them into an arena where they might be unable to keep up. I'd be pissed if it were me being treated like I couldn't compete with other applicants.

I'm sure ADCOMs and the Deans make very wise decisions and admit applicants who they believe will be successful. They don't want students dropping out of their schools.

As an out of state student with a low GPA, I beleive I deserve special consideration for acceptance to UCLA, considering both of those traits are in the minority at that school.

I'm a latino and I have to say that I do agree with you guys.I,being an underrepresented minority, don't use my ethnicity as motivation in any way towards acceptance into a D school and neither should any other minority.I try to be as competitive as any other person on these forums but I do think that the community should have some sort of variety in cultures when it comes to doctors.Patients need doctors that they can interact and feel comfortable with.

I know a lot of people argue against it, calling it reverse racism and all (even though it kind of is). But until you take a deeper look at it, it is difficult to see why it exits and how it is necessary in a way.

I am as white as can be and when applying for undergrad, thought the whole thing was a crock. Not until I took a year of classes on the subject in college did I get a look at the bigger picture.

If you have a couple hours to kill I suggest you peruse through this book which is apparently free to read online now:

http://books.google.com/books?id=Oe...psitz&sig=uWGToi_FfHBM9rel65oNmLiFLYg#PPP1,M1

In short, people argue against AA saying that the only way to be fair to everyone is to eliminate it. They say it should be based on GPA and DAT. However the playing field to do well on those is not even, and there are underlying factors that on average, make those things more difficult to do for minorities.

Edit: I know there are already a few posts on here by minority predents who say they don't agree with AA and refrain from using it to their the advantage, but just remember those are the ones who are fortunate enough to use a computer and browse the internet on a Sunday afternoon. That is not the case for all.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
You are considered minority when it comes to dental school admissions if you are: Hispanic, Black, Native-American. The rest is overrepresented, especially asians (that includes East indians).

Before I say anything else I'd first like to make clear that I am not pro-affirmative action. However, I'm not really sure if race really is this gold star, extra 10 points added on an application, or "free ticket in" like many people believe. There are plenty of URMs with good stats that get turned away from some schools just like others. They have to go through interviews just like everyone else. I'm sure adcoms don't just salivate when they see a URM with average stats and think "We gotta let this guy in...it'll boost our numbers." What is often forgotten is that many of the URMs applying have intent to work in underserved areas. I know that the mission of some schools is to create dentists who will serve these places. A Native American who grew up on a reservation is more likely to return to practice on the reservation than the 3rd generation suburbia dentist. I think that everyone should be held to the same standard, yes...but I don't think its right for people to think "Oh that guy got in because he's a URM." I think Adcoms are smart and choose who will fit in with their program.

(side note: I personally don't like the term "reverse racism." Any sort of bias or discrimination against a racial group is "racism."...Correct me if I'm wrong, but thats to say if there is a bias against Asians/ Indians/ Caucasians/ Latinos/ African Americans/ anyone...that too would be racism...not the reverse of it.)

I agree. I'm a minority (Asian, though), but I don't understand how people support affirmitive action because it seems so patrionizing to me. Like "oh, we'll hold you to lower standards because it's the best you can do." WTF is that. Yeah, okay, it's supposed to even the playing field for those who grew up in underprivileged areas, but isn't that just setting up unprepared people for struggles or even failure? How does that help anyone? If you want to fix those issues, go to the root of the problem. Improve schools, particularly in urban areas. Support school choice programs and voucher systems. But don't just hold certain people to lower standards and then throw them into an arena where they might be unable to keep up. I'd be pissed if it were me being treated like I couldn't compete with other applicants.

I certainly agree with your statement. AA was put into place historicly at a time when this country was having MAJOR civil rights problems. Now that there are increased amounts of minorities all around, not just African Americans, but many many diverse cultures, there no longer needs to be an AA system. Reverse racism however results when people abuse the system. AA certainly does not help you if you are White and disadvantaged (big difference between URM and disadvantaged background....I can't stress this enough). Also, you cannot assume that all URM's are disadvantaged and want to devote their dental profession to giving back to the community, because I know plenty that are URM and are complete opposite.........they just happen to be of a differing culture than "caucasian".

I do understand that minorities are necessary in medicine and dentistry because studies have shown that they will practice in underrepresented areas (like where they came from) more than white or over-represented dentists. It is only when minorities are accepted over another applicant with better everything across the board that I believe is wrong. After 4 years of dental school, these people are going to be in practice, and if they were not as strong as an applicant who was rejected, that is one step backwards for providing the best healthcare possible to everybody. Minority areas do not deserve a minority dentist who has substandard stats. Schools can accept diverse students while still making their decisions based on stats and non-race/gender/etc criteria. It is only when substandard applicants get accepted based on their diversity that I think is bad. What it comes down to for me is that I think all patients are entitled to dentists that have worked their butts off because we all want the best people possible representing the dental (and medical, etc.) profession.

As an out of state student with a low GPA, I beleive I deserve special consideration for acceptance to UCLA, considering both of those traits are in the minority at that school.
Sold. :idea:

on the AADSAS application thing..do you have to declare your ethnicity?

im an asian too....and i dont believe i should get into a school bc of my race........I HATE IT when people get into howard or meharry with a 15/14/12....when people with 19/19/19 are struggling to get interviews really makes me mad i dont care if your white indian black NA u do not deserve to be in dental school with scores like 15/14/12 retake the damn test and get a high score like every1 else

What is often forgotten is that many of the URMs applying have intent to work in underserved areas. I know that the mission of some schools is to create dentists who will serve these places. A Native American who grew up on a reservation is more likely to return to practice on the reservation than the 3rd generation suburbia dentist. I think that everyone should be held to the same standard, yes...but I don't think its right for people to think "Oh that guy got in because he's a URM." I think Adcoms are smart and choose who will fit in with their program.

^ very well said

Lets see any of you who have posted comments such as "all applicants should be treated the same" and "hispanics play the whole minority thing too much" grow up in the conditions that some minorities have had to deal with.
Lets see some of you guys grow up never meeting your dad, living in a two bedroom home with three brothers and sisters and a mom with no high school degree. Then lets also see you resist using drugs and joining gangs like your homeboys are all doing just so you can have a shot to get the hell out and go to college.
Then once youre in college lets see you financially support yourself and try to make yourself as competitive of an applicant as possible so that you can actually have a shot at getting in to D school.
So yeah some of us are underrepresented, and some of us do deserve special consideration cause our playing field isnt always level to yours. I'd like to see some of you walk a step in my shoes.

Your rant may be more valid if you didn't have an amazing GPA at a respectable university and above average DAT scores. I wouldn't consider you a part of the below-average minority that is discussed in this thread...

So yeah some of us are underrepresented, and some of us do deserve special consideration cause our playing field isnt always level to yours. I'd like to see some of you walk a step in my shoes.

You failed to address anything that has to do with being a minority. You addressed several points that are consistent with growing up under less than ideal financial/familial circumstances; an issue faced by people of all varieties of ethnic backgrounds.

Is your point that financially disadvantaged applicants deserve special consideration or is it that minorities deserve special consideration?

For example, does and first generation American of Czech (white) ancestry, growing up in the same situation you outlined (single mother, several children, low earning potential) deserve the same consideration as you?

Just trying to lend some clarity to the argument as these discussions tend to focus on two distinct aspects, being a minority and being financially disadvantaged. If you feel the two are intimately related then try to make some meaningful connection between the two aspects. Don't say, "I am a URM and thusly you should assume I grew up under trying financial circumstances."

Based on your performance your shoes appear to be in good feet, why risk putting someone else in them? Let's go drill some teeth.

Regards,
Linus Pauling AKA GoBlueJays

You failed to address anything that has to do with being a minority. You addressed several points that are consistent with growing up under less than ideal financial/familial circumstances; an issue faced by people of all varieties of ethnic backgrounds.

Is your point that financially disadvantaged applicants deserve special consideration or is it that minorities deserve special consideration?

For example, does and first generation American of Czech (white) ancestry, growing up in the same situation you outlined (single mother, several children, low earning potential) deserve the same consideration as you?

Just trying to lend some clarity to the argument as these discussions tend to focus on two distinct aspects, being a minority and being financially disadvantaged. If you feel the two are intimately related then try to make some meaningful connection between the two aspects. Don't say, "I am a URM and thusly you should assume I grew up under trying financial circumstances."

Based on your performance your shoes appear to be in good feet, why risk putting someone else in them? Let's go drill some teeth.

Regards,
Linus Pauling AKA GoBlueJays

THANK YOU!! I can not agree with you more.

I'm seriously tired of hearing this minority crap. My parents, along with MANY asian parents (even Europeans & other ethnicities), had to flee from our war-torn countries (whether that be on a plane or in a stow-away crate) so that their children can have better lives. Do NOT even compare that to growing up in the projects because at least in the projects you can have a roof over your head, food on your table, clothes on your back. My parents came to Canada with VERY little money, and with a lot of hard work, I turned out just fine.

If blacks, natives & hispanics deserve special consideration, so should everyone else, because their "situations" aren't unique - if they were, you would never have a smart person with minority status...and we all know there are many.