ethnicity

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wise146

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if anybody knows how ethnicity/religion/gender play into the admission process. Who has an advantage.

I guess as a white male i am screwed.

Members don't see this ad.

ummm, as a white male you are screwed???? I guess you may have more competition, but undoubtedly you will be the majority of your class in most dental schools.

From my interview experience it seemed the majority were asian females. Small sample size, who knows.

Members don't see this ad :)
We are all screwed...Females are taking over Dentistry fast!

Originally posted by ShawnOne
From my interview experience it seemed the majority were asian females. Small sample size, who knows.

As far as females go, I have seen a lot of asian females. But my experience has been that there is a majority of white males.

But yes, it does seem females are taking over the profession

At this pint, minority women have the most advantage. And yes, white males are facing the most competition.

Comet

In terms of women in dentistry, obviously this does make things more competitve for male applicants now compared to 20 years ago. But women in dentistry is a good thing for the profession in many ways. I believe they add alot, and am excited to get out of my almost all-male predent/premed undergraduate science classes (and I'm married, so it's not for that reason).

Also, having a large percentage of women dentists makes things LESS competitive for you as a practicing dentist, since women dentists work statistically less hours and fewer years than males. This combined with the decline in the overall number of dentists per capita spells a rosy future for us all.

I have to put Caucasian. Im persian dammit!!

Growing up in a family where Farsi is the spoken language is definitely different than growing up in a family where english is the primary language.

Oh well, Im just looking for excuses...

Even if you weren't technically white (which you are), I dont think being persian would get you any additional love. Persians are not exactly underrepresented in dental school, or medical school for that matter.

The student body for the 2006 class at Tufts is 51% female.

I dont know the numbers for the 2007 class, but I expect them to be similar. And I bet the 2008 class will follow suit.

Originally posted by vishal_k32801
According to following presentation, slide #15, there are 37.6%,
1624 women out of total 4314 total seats at Dental Colleges!

http://www.nga.org/cda/files/VALACHOVIC.ppt

This is kinda off topic. When I worked for citibank, the hiring manger, which was a white guy, told me:

"If I don't hire a woman I'm accused of being a sexist. If I don't hire a person of color I'm accused of being racist"

Originally posted by vishal_k32801
We are all screwed...Females are taking over Dentistry fast!

good thing too... you could count me out on having a "4-year dental school sasuage party" ;)

Originally posted by hopefulgirl
YEAH!!! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Is this because you can lecture male patients on the finer points of dental care and scold them if they don't say brush their teeth regularly:laugh:

Do the schools like to spready out the class profile or is it just basically the best man/woman (woman in this case) gets in.

Originally posted by Rezdawg
I have to put Caucasian. Im persian dammit!!

Growing up in a family where Farsi is the spoken language is definitely different than growing up in a family where english is the primary language.

Oh well, Im just looking for excuses...

Reza,

be proud of your heritage bro...Speaking Persian will come handy when you set up your practice and Persians just pour in!!! (i have seen this)
as Shawn said, we are not at all under-represented in dental/medical fields.... not only those field... there are simply too many sucessful Persians in ANY $$$ making profesion/busines...
see the correlation??? no wondwer we are not considered minority in any sense!

Comet

Originally posted by busupshot83
good thing too... you could count me out on having a "4-year dental school sasuage party" ;)

HA!:laugh:

Why is a Persian considered caucasian? And how about someone like me who is Pakistani?

I will just put on a sombrero, and hope to be accepted as a hispanic :D

Originally posted by DoctorSaab
Why is a Persian considered caucasian? And how about someone like me who is Pakistani?

I will just put on a sombrero, and hope to be accepted as a hispanic :D

comet... here we go again :laugh:

Just wondering if there are any Jews besides me on this forum.

Originally posted by DoctorSaab

Well, Pakistan was once part of Persia, then you guys took a shower, became "pak" and decided that you wanted a separate country. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: (just an inside joke)

According to the classification, if your origing is in that part of the region you are considered white. you can find the whole thing om AADSAS page.

Comet