ETS debuts new "personality index"

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

futureapppsy2

Assistant professor
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/07/09/AR2009070902085.html?hpid=topnews

Sounds like they're trying to corner the market on LORs, too. I wonder if any programs will be requiring it for this coming cycle--if I have to retake the GRE just for this thing... well, I could think of better ways to spend $140 and 4 hours.

I wonder if they did any validity or reliability testing on it...

Members don't see this ad.

ETS is nonprofit?

What what?

Members don't see this ad :)

Wow. I am almost speechless. Am I alone in finding this unbelievable? Lets be objective about this "Personal Potential Index."

First, a large, powerful, "non-profit" organization creates a Six-Factor Model of personality based on 24 likert-scale items. This equals four questions per trait.

Is there any empirical evidence on this measure? What are the questions? What does the internal consistency look like? How do scores compare with other measures of personality? Do the ratings correlate with graduate level performance of any kind? Are there actually six disctinct personality constructs being measured? Let's compare this to the more heavily researched Five-Factor-Model developed by Costa and McCrae. A model developed for assessing "normal" personality traits (compare to PAI, MMPI, Rorscach). In its most brief form (NEO-FFI), the model uses 60 likert-scale items. This equals twelve questions per facet. I could go on and on.....

Second, lets look at the responders. Professors are still being used. They will act as "collateral informants" in the assessment of new, unspecified, and vague personality constructs like "knowledge and creativity, communication skills, teamwork, resilience, planning and organization, and ethics and integrity....[plus an] overall rating." How is this information better than an individually tailored letter of recommendation. Please explain......

Last. if there is someone out there in favor of assessing "personal potential" in this way, anyone at all, please provide some information on this measure in support of your position. That is, if its not top-secret and unavailable to the community. Will these questions change month to month? Is it a Computerized Adaptive Test? Here I imagine a professor endorsing a five for the following question: "Does the student show up to meetings late and appear unconcerned?" To adapt, it then jumps straight into childhood: "Did the student torture animals as a child?" Such measure would prove incredibly effective in identifying sociopaths among us.......

Haha, that's awesome.

It's also funny because most schools have their own questionnaires for professors to fill out in addition to an LoR. Does ETS think they'll just drop them in favor of this one?

Just be done with it, give everyone an MMPI, PAI, and MCMI prior to coming in. LOL, It's meaningless. My scores may be more or less extreme than the patients I see... So what... means nothing unless I am unable to function effectively.

I think that GPA/GRE/Experience/LOR's and the personal statement pretty well cover all that ground already. This is the proof that one can function effectively. Your "personality" has 0 to do with graduate school success, but rather how you use the strengths and weaknesses of you personality is what matters most.

Mark