Army ETS inquiry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Spt30

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Long time reader, first time poster. Quick question, specifically for the Army folks. What can you expect when you're ETS date is coming up? Does HRC let you know? Who do you contact?

Thanks in advance

Members don't see this ad.

There is no notification of your upcoming date. It falls all on your shoulders to get the ball rolling. Talk with your S1 shop who should be able to provide you with the memos necessary for the unqualified resignation. If there is a question about adso, etc you may need to contact the HRC branch manager or your S1 if they are high speed. Review any contracts you've signed to make sure you don't owe extra time beyond what you anticipate. Don't forget about the acap requirements. I am going through this process, currently waiting on memos to be initialed, etc so give yourself plenty of time.

Posted using SDN Mobile

Yeah, it's important to understand that as an officer in the regular Army, you do not have an ETS date. Your commission is indefinite and must be resigned. If you do nothing, then nothing happens because there is no expectation from HRC or S1 that you will necessarily separate at the end of your contract(s). Also, as scary as this, they are not obligated to accept your resignation, although the risk of that occurring is infinitesimal under current conditions.

FWIW, my S1 told me to expect REFRAD to take 7 months. I think that's an overestimation designed to keep people from waiting too long, but it speaks to the need to get things started well in advance.