ETT secure devices

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

royalvic

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wanted to see if anyone else uses/had issues with the tube tamer by ergomed. Obviously there is inter-operator variability in placement/securing the ETT, head/body movements by pt/nurses/techs, but I've heard a few rumors that across the county there is compartively larger number of ETT that have become unsecured when this device is used. Also noted that there are few articles related to unplanned loss of ETT and one article in Annals that notes that 1 inch cloth tape, when used properly is a better securing technique the ergomed tube tamer. Any thoughts...Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

as a medic we didn't even have tube tamers and tape worked just fine every time for me. never had a tube come dislodged, did have one instance where somehow BLS pushed it into right mainstem but i realized that pretty soon as i remembered to check my tube placement after movement and all was fine

Yeah I mean if they're not a significant improvement over plain old tape then I don't see the point. They look better but a) they're not that simple and b) they just make me nervous.

If it ain't broke... I'm not that far along in my residency and have yet to see a dislodged tube but as one of my attendings told me it only takes one...

Members don't see this ad :)
I saw a fair number of dislodgments during transport during my unit months and occasionally from EMS. When we were loading patients on and off the stretcher we'd usually disconnect everything from the ETT to prevent dislodgement. Our RTs currently use cloth tape attached to a bite block which seems to work pretty well.

as an RT, I've always been fond of the Hollister device. Pretty secure and would require alot to dislodge...but tape works just fine

AFEUEHPD.jpg

What we used at the services I worked for, and my favorite.

If your using endtidal capnography you will know right away when a tube it out of place..

not all agencies carry this yet. as sad as that is NY is bass akwards if you know what I mean.

also have to be in the room or looking at the monitor to figure this out. Have only had one come out, unfortunately it was a taped tube and in CT. I bet the rate of screwups is about the same between the two.

also have to be in the room or looking at the monitor to figure this out.

You have to be in the same room as the state of NY to confirm that they're bass akwards? What are the relevant points on history and physical?

Take care,
Jeff

well really just looking at the monitor I guess.

I use tape. :)

not to mention i was talking about pre hospital, in hospital it is always used as far as i know, but again, have to be watching the monitor, or if they go to CT not all of the hospital monitors will have waveform, usually they don't unless they have the LP 12